Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Burger Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVQ Burger Thoughts

SV and sear has become my go-to, if not favorite, way to do burgers lately. I'm going to do a beef rib meat/bacon grind today with either a 80/20, or perhaps HouseHomey 's unctuous 75/25. However, I'm thinking that plopping them in the hot tub at 131/1-2 hrs might render out too much fat and negate the bacon boost. Perhaps I should just do a reverse sear. What say ya'll?

Go classic or go home.....

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Since I'm already home I think I'm going to try the SV method and see what happens. I mean, it's still gonna be a burger either way.

I'm not sure about the effects on bacon in the grind, but these days I always SV burgers followed by searing. I've been lucky enough to find chuck-eye steaks at a local butcher and that's become my go-to for grinding. In order to achieve full pasteurization, I generally SV at 131 for 4 hours ... with no obvious loss of fat. There's the usual purge, of course ... but no obvious fat in it.

To keep from crushing the burgers, I use the displacement method with ziploc bags rather than the vacuum sealer.

Searing is done either on my gasser (a genesis EP-330) sear station or, if the weather is crap, I'll use a Searzall torch.

Either way, the results are consistently edge-to-edge medium rare (safely pasteurized, of course) with a great crust.

One of these days, I must remember to take some pics ...

FWIW, my go-to guide for safe SV time/temp is this: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to do the displacement method, but my wife showed me how to use the vac sealer so as not to crush them. I think I'll just try the burger/bacon mix in the SV to see if it works. Thanks for the Baldwin link, I remember Potkettleblack sharing something similar

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, that is a great link. I've saved to my One Note...

I do the vacuum seal on less than max setting.
    Grind brisket trimmings about 30% fat then SV and sear or SV, smoke and sear.

I like SV for safety since I want them med rare.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	9B076418-4296-42A0-BCDF-BF87C31B678D.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	573296

Click image for larger version

Name:	90575088-D5B0-4207-B65D-8D09136DE9CD.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	573295Click image for larger version

Name:	3CB86470-46DE-4F5F-A30A-729E7BD9C154.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	573294

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      A little fat does come out into the purge as you can see it solidify when chilled. At 30% there’s plenty left in the burger. Plus any fat in the bag is good in the CI pan and searing.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice Post! This looks great man!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      FanFreekingtastic!!!!

You’re not going to render a whole lot of fat at 131x2. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      And it did not render much fat.

I use a large biscuit ring to keep the patties from squishing in the vacuum. I know I am logging on a bit late for your experiment but I am hoping you went through with it and report the results. I use SV primarily for stuffed burgers. I could argue that a regular burger is better just grilled but there is no doubt that a stuffed burger is much better SV. It also solves the problem of the "raw burger in the middle syndrome" when making really fat patties.

Comment

I have got to try this...

Comment

How did the burgers turn out?

Comment

It will be fine! Go for it! Worked great for me with all my grinds. Use a ring mold for van seal or as mention a ziplock.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here