Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those onion burger things, what’s the deal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those onion burger things, what’s the deal.

I see some doing the onions with mustard and then smashing the burger on top. I see some smashing the burger, then putting onions on top with no mustard.

So what’s the deal.

Not sure. But it may have something to do with the onion being pressed into the burger. I made smashers last night, I wish I had known about this, I could have tried it. No worries though, smashers are never far off the menu!

Comment

I don't think I wanna try this becasue I want the beef crispy on the outside, and if I add onions and/or mustard, that won't happen. So I guess I vote for on top - after flipping/ And please cook my onions in the burger juice if possible.

Comment

Well here's the back story. This all started because I wanted to do something different. I say "all" because hundreds, if not hundreds of thousands of people are doing this now.

I hate mustard. But I discovered that mustard hitting a scalding hot skillet was DEVINE in taste and smell! There is literally no possibly way to duplicate that flavor that I know of. I don't know what the chemical reaction is but it is absolutely not mustard anymore but something way different, probably DDT pesticide or something. Infused into a patty was just magic. The whole "upside-down" thing was just my way of doing something different cus, you know, me. Basically if you were to watch Wimpy's cartoon, I did everything exactly backwards. Still do these from time to time. Sure, it may not be a rock hard crust. But every burger don't have to be.

Be different man. Everybody's doin it.

Here is the original thread:

I simply don't think I can ever cook a hamburger any other way now! Got my new Ballistic Griddle, and figured I would come up with some unique way to break it

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s it! That’s the deal!

I’m going to do it the traditional way first, then next time I’ll try it like that.

Tell you what, these are pretty awesome. I did it traditional toppings, but these could take California style, bacon, whatever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	73F4B703-5E29-4E81-B0EF-E4F3DF73C3C3.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	567903

Click image for larger version

Name:	7452BDCE-28FF-465B-A750-D44B2BBB325B.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	567904

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Love the burger! What all the other contaminants on there?

RonB May I please refer you to "In n Out Burger" and the Mustard fry. It's a beautiful thing. I would cook the onion first. That's just me.

Lonnie, looks darn D-LICIOUS Brother!

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          The gremmies on the short boards used to steal my water at Swami's way before In-N-Out even bothered to name it Animal. That's how long it's been since I've been eatin' the mustard in the meat from Venice.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          JGo37 started there when I was 15 n 1984. Garden Grove, CA. Store #19 at Magnolia and track. Grew up all aroundd the corner from Store #17 in Santa Ana at Bristol n Cicic Center

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey awesome! We've stood on many the same sidewalks Bro! I can name every break from Imperial Beach to Santa Monica...

Also, cooking on a bed of onions is total White Castle. Not that that is my fave burger for sure, but had them when I lived up in Cooperstown. Never been to a In n Out burger joint. Don't have them in our parts.

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. White Castle burgers have decent sized holes in them. The idea is to infuse the flavor from the onions into the meat.

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          That too. The holes originated though so that the meat would steam to cook since it was actually not touching the grill (because it was sitting on the onions), and the bun sitting on top held in that steam.

Check out Oklahoma Onion Birger

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, I seen ‘at yesterday, it informed my actions today!

All burgers are respected in my world.

Load them up!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here