Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roasted Pork Burger with Crackling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roasted Pork Burger with Crackling

Hi all

So, being from Denmark, I wanted to share with you a BBQ Classic from the great north: Roasted Pork Burger with Crackling!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00999.jpg?etag=W%2F%224456a-58a8cb55%22&sourceContentType=image%2Fjpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=592%2B394&extract=0%2B0%2B590%2B394&quality=85.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	484416
    The great thing about the roast pork with crackling is that you get that desired combo of tender and moist meat together with those crispy pork rinds.

Setting Up the Grill

Set up the grill to indirect grilling. In my Primo 400 XL, I fill half of the firebox completely up and use the D-stone to shield the meat. In a regular kettle grill, simply put all the briquettes to one side:

Name:	DSC00946.jpg?etag=W%2F%2255b30-58a8c118%22&sourceContentType=image%2Fjpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=590%2B393&extract=0%2B0%2B590%2B393&quality=85.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	484419

Heat the grill and let it stabilize at around 200 C (392 F).

Name:	DSC00950.jpg?etag=W%2F%22490bc-58a8c249%22&sourceContentType=image%2Fjpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=590%2B393&extract=0%2B0%2B590%2B393&quality=85.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	484420

Preparing the Meat:
    Now it is time to prepare the meat. If your meat has been vacuum packed, be sure to rub it dry with a kitchen towel.

This cut can be difficult to get in the US - but talk to your butcher and ask him to leave the rinds on.

Most pork roasts (in Denmark) come pre sliced from the butcher. The above is a rather small piece, but no matter what, it is is extremely important (it really is) that you check each cut to make sure that it is cut from side to side. The cut should go into the fat - but not into the actual meat. The way to check this is to run your finger from one side to the other:

Name:	DSC00963.jpg?etag=W%2F%223a23a-58a8c3af%22&sourceContentType=image%2Fjpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=592%2B394&extract=0%2B0%2B590%2B394&quality=85.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	484421

After you have checked the cuts, go through them again an add salt (coarse) to each of them. I like to season my pork roast with juniper and bay leaves.

Name:	DSC00969.jpg?etag=W%2F%223ec6d-58a8c4e7%22&sourceContentType=image%2Fjpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=590%2B393&extract=0%2B0%2B590%2B393&quality=85.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	484422

Now it is time to put the roast on the grill.

Place a drip tray underneath the roast. Be sure to add some water to avoid the fat turning into an unpleasant smoke.

The trick to get that perfect crackling is to angle you meat.

Roll some tin foil into a log and place it beneath the meat. You will want the meat to be almost vertical (allowing the fat to drip into the pan below.) The meat should be positioned in the indirect zone with the crackling as close to the direct zone as possible.

Be sure to position the meat at an even distance from the direct heat:

Name:	DSC00983.jpg?etag=W%2F%224c89f-58a8c75e%22&sourceContentType=image%2Fjpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=590%2B393&extract=0%2B0%2B590%2B393&quality=85.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	484423

Now let the roast cook for about 60 minutes before you check on it (you should check the roast when it has a core temperature of about 55 C (131 F)). At this point in time you will want to turn up your grill. At this point in time, ideally you want to hit a temperature of around 260 - 290 C (500 F - 554 F).

At this stage, you will also want to watch the meat closely to avoid burning it.

Once you take the meat out the grill, it should (in my point of view) have a core temperature of around 70 C (158 F).

Name:	DSC00992.jpg?etag=W%2F%224a06a-58a8ca3c%22&sourceContentType=image%2Fjpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=590%2B393&extract=0%2B0%2B590%2B393&quality=85.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	484424

Normally I bake my own burger buns - but in this instance, I bought some instead.

In my burgerI put in mayo, pork roast, pickles, red cabbage and remoulade. This is a rather traditional Danish way to do it. However, this meat goes well with many different ingredients ( e.g. coleslaw, chutney, onions etc.)

Name:	DSC00999.jpg?etag=W%2F%224456a-58a8cb55%22&sourceContentType=image%2Fjpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=592%2B394&extract=0%2B0%2B590%2B394&quality=85.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	484425

Attached Files

Excellent article on getting good cracklin!!! Something new for me to try now. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Very nice ... thanks!

Comment

Very unique and very nice job thanks for sharing that!

Comment

I plan to start scoring my brisket flats.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Love the crackling, nice post !!

Comment

I'd eat anything that had crackling attached to it!

Comment

Great write up! Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Thank you for the kind comments :-)

Comment

Thank you. My mouth is watering. It has been a long long time since I had pork crackling...probably in the early '70s from my grandfather. I've bookmarked this recipe.

Comment

BBQ Vikings, this looks incredible. Thank you for posting it!

Is that cut a skin-on loin roast, or something different?

Comment

• BBQ Vikings
                          BBQ Vikings commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi - its on a pork roast. It is a very traditional dish at X-mas (however, not in a burger) ;-)

That looks awesome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here