Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Member them meatballs I was asking about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Member them meatballs I was asking about?

I didn't do them on the grill. I tried one and it tasted like an outdoor burger, and while that would be great if I were making burgers, it wasn't right for meatballs.

But these were pretty awesome, so I'll tell you what I did. First, I went around the internet looking for "best meatballs" and "great meatballs" and the like. And I collected a lot of the ideas together, and kind of winged it from there. I got the best ideas from AllRecipes and SeriousEats, but I didn't follow either recipe exactly, or even look at them while I was making these.

Then, I used

1 lb ground pork
    2 lbs ground beef, 80/20
    2 cups freshly made bread crumbs, spin a loaf of Italian bread in the food processor until you have enough.
    2 eggs
    1 medium onion, finely chopped

And, unmeasured:

a handful of parsley
    3 sprigs of fresh oregano
    A decent amount of ground Parmesan
    a decent amount of ground Pecorino Romano
    about a tablespoon of salt,
    about a tablespoon of black pepper
    about a tablespoon of red pepper flakes
    water

For all that stuff, I just tossed in what looked right. I'd guess 3/4 cup to 1 cup of the cheeses? Chop the parsley and the oregano.

Dump the bread crumbs in a bowl, and add enough water to make it moist, almost a slurry but not quite. Add everything else but the meat and moosh it all up with your hands. Add the meat and moosh it all up some more, until it is all mooshed up and evenly mixed.

Make 24 or so meatballs. Bake them on foil in the oven at 400*/450*until internal of 165*. Then simmer them in your favorite red sauce for a couple hours.

These come out really super tender. I think it's the fresh bread crumbs, I read that using canned dried crumbs or panko makes denser meatballs.

Last edited by Mosca; August 1, 2017, 02:37 PM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0023.JPG Views:	3 Size:	834.5 KB ID:	355604

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here