Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turning Brisket Into Burgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning Brisket Into Burgers?

Today was a Costco run--prime packers for $3/#. Couldn't turn it down, so 17 pounds of brisket is awaiting . I see five pounds of pastrami for the flat, then splitting the other end into two roasts; one for a CrockPot dish and the other for BBQ. I'm thinking of stealing a pound and making a couple of burgers to go with Breadhead 's buns, er, his brioche burger rolls, that is.

Thoughts on burger made from brisket?
    Last edited by Willy; January 29, 2017, 04:15 PM.

It's deelish. I just keep the meat near frozen for grinding, and burgers cooked medium or less.

Comment

I've done whole packers. I cut every bit of external fat off and mixed the two muscles.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Just to be clear (I'm slow), does external fat include the heavy layers inside the point? Absent them, it seems like it'd make pretty lean burgers??

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Willy, yeah, I meant to mention that. I take just about all of that out, some of it is pretty hard stuff. First thing I do is separate the muscles without any worry of taking some meat off of one of them.

Brisket burgers are wonderful. I have my butcher grind it for me.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Heck, at $3/#, it's cheaper than supermarket burger.

I'd suggest trying to get at least 20% fat in your grind. If using the flat, add some of the trimmed fat back in. When I grind at home, I always put the meat in boiling water for ~ 20 seconds to kill anything harmful on the surface of the meat. That way I feel safe cooking to a temp below the "safe" temp of 160* F. And getting the cut up meat close to frozen does make grinding easier.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: boil the meat whole - before you do anything to it.
      Last edited by RonB; January 29, 2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        That is the main reason I went to brisket. I asked for a higher fat content than they were allowed to grind into hamburger. They suggested brisket, as ground brisket didn't fall under the same guidelines. Am not sure if they added fat. ... but they were extremely juicy! ! Slow baked and reverse seared on the Hasty Bake.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        👍 on blanching your your meat in boiling water to kill the surface bacteria.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tip on boiling first.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here