Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steamed Cheeseburgers - Try It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steamed Cheeseburgers - Try It!

Recipe C&P'd from CI... so formatting may be off. Ground my own boneless chuck on Coarse. Bet you can't eat just one!

Why this recipe works:

Steaming is a great way to cook vegetables, but what about burgers? It turns out that the gentle cooking environment (which can’t get much hotter than the 212-degree boiling water) makes for an incredibly juicy burger—even when cooked to medium-well. To make up for the savory flavor lent by browning, we mix soy sauce, tomato paste, and onion powder into the meat. For a flavorful, evenly melted layer of cheese, we use shredded cheddar and add it off heat. Thirty seconds before serving, we add the buns to the steamer, too, giving them just enough time to soften and warm through.less

Serves 4

The test kitchen’s favorite steamer basket is the Progressive Easy Reach Steamer Basket. We prefer these burgers cooked medium-well, but for medium burgers, steam them for 7 minutes before shutting off the heat and adding the cheese. Serve these burgers with the usual array of garnishes and condiments: lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, mayonnaise, and mustard.

Ingredients
    Instructions

1. Combine beef, soy sauce, onion powder, tomato paste, salt, and pepper in bowl. Divide beef into 4 balls. Gently flatten into patties ¾ inch thick and 4 inches wide. Press shallow divot in center of each patty. Bring 4 cups water to boil in covered Dutch oven over medium-high heat (water should not touch bottom of steamer basket).

2. Arrange patties in steamer basket. Set steamer basket inside Dutch oven, cover, and cook for 8 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from heat and divide cheese evenly among burgers, cover, and let sit until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Place top buns on burgers and bottom buns, cut side up, on top of top buns. Cover and let sit until buns soften, about 30 seconds. Transfer bottom buns to cutting board, add condiments, and top with burgers and top buns. Serve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steamed_Cheeseburgers.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	266406

Medusa
    Thanks fer postin', great receipt!
    I truly miss cooking in stack steamers, and, especially, steam kettles!!!
    Ya can do some amazin' things with that fast, moist heat!!!!

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Good mornin'... cool!

Those look amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Comment

Wonder why they don't either sear then steam or steam then sear? Steam 7 min, sear one side, flip, apply cheese.

Comment

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the purpose of this technique is a "hands off" approach to maximize the level of juiciness in the burg. After eating these, I hate to say it, but I'd cook burgs this way before going to the grill.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        High praise. I am partial to a Sous vide burger, but you do sear that off.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here