Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Hamburgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Hamburgers

OK, so I'm not smart enough to find a thread from a week or so where folks were discussing smoking burgers and meatloaf. I want to try that with my Weber kettle and SnS combo, so, a few questions: Temp around 225°? Meat on the Weber grates or a flat surface like a GrillGrate (seems to me a regular grate would let the burger "sag" through the grates)? Rough time estimate for medium rare?

Temp is just fine. The original Weber grates work just fine. The patty won't "sag", so you should be just fine. I've done it many times, and they never fall through. Can't say anything about time estimate. I know, I should, but I am lousy at checking the wall clock when I'm smoking. Then kettle and SnS will be a perfect match for this.

I'm pretty sure Huskee can chip in here. I know he's got his burger routine locked down.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I wasn't worried about falling through, just having sagged "ridges" that would get sheared off when removed from the grill grates.

If you have some really thick hamburgers I would run 225 then reverse sear. Anything smaller than that I just grill it and make sure I get a good crust before it is done. I actually do a pre-sear with the thinner ones.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Reverse is part of the plan for sure.

I have smoked burgers a couple of times with good results. I cooked to internal temperature to rare/medium rare, using meat that I ground, boiling water heat treated (following Meatheads recipe). then sear on the direct side. The temperature you cook to depends if you use store bought ground meat or make your own.

Comment

I do 225 on the regular Weber grate and it works fine. Definitely reverse sear. As someone pointed out on the other thread, go easy on the smoke, don't want to over do it, but even over-smoked is still damn good to me. Enjoy!

Comment

I do burgers that way all the time. Don't know what temp my Web is, do it about 12-14min, maybe longer, flipping every 2min or so & checking internal temp until they hit approx 140 then put them over SnS to sear. I like em not quite well, but cooked because of the ground meat thing. Maybe what I am describing is'nt a true smokin, but they sure taste mighty fine.

Comment

Since we don't know the details for your burgers, no one will really be able to give you "THE" time. You should smoke to temp, and that temp should be about 10* below your desired finished temp. Then sear while flipping until it reaches your final temp.

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point. Say 8 oz & 3/4 inch thick-ish. Medium rare. I'm not looking an exact time, just a rough guess-half hour or two hours kinda thing. I know my (thin) chicken wings take a couple of hours.

I've never timed a burger even though I do exactly what you want to do. I just stick a probe in them and pull them when they hit the right temp. However, I normally do steaks the same way and a 1.5" steak takes about 45 min from fridge to 130* F.

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            My go-to for steaks now (ribeyes) is sous vide at 128°F for 1.5-2 hours, then slap 'em on the flat side of a smokin' hot GrillGrate (I'm sure a cast iron skillet well heated would be fine) for 30-45 seconds per side.

HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's how I do it when I cook burgers but it's probably more out of habit than anything. You'll get some smoke flavor but not much, they're not on the cool side long enough to really soak in the smoke. Maybe while the meat is cold start a wood only fire in the SnS, just a few chunks, expose them to that for a while then add the lit charcoal later to bring them up to searing temperature? Hmm, I might have to try that myself.

I'm not a meatloaf lover so I've never tried it but with the added meat volume I'd think it'd be on the cool side long enough where it would absorb a good amount of smoke.

Comment

And I agree with what FireMan said, at 225 they shouldn't take much more than 10 - 15 minutes to get up to searing temp. I like to pull them and start the sear at 125 to 130 though, might not be the safest but it's definitely a rarer burger. Haven't gotten sick yet.

Comment

Agree with the previous folks. Love reverse seared burgers - smoked, then seared. One thing to note, ground beef picks up smoke flavor fast, so don't need too long, and I have seen a stronger smoke flavor turn off some of my guests that aren't used to the smoke flavor.

1/2" thick burgers, I go just over 10 minutes at 210-215, more important than time, is internal temp, I pull off about 115. Open up the vents, get the fire hot, and sear them to 130 for me, my family likes 140.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here