Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time grinding my own burger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time grinding my own burger

Inspired by all the great posts on this site, I recently bought some new toys. One of which was the grinder attachment to my KitchenAid mixer. I was a little over whelmed with the meat mix suggestions so I just started out simple with Chuck steaks. Wow wow wow! I can't believe how delicious my burger tasted. Easily the best burger I've ever made and I did nothing but add salt before searing. If you've never ground your own burger, you MUST TRY THIS. It was really a revelation!

8oz patties cooked indirectly until about 120 then seared over direct heat flipping about every minute until 135. Served w Glop and a slice of tomato and onion. Nothing fancy but the meat really shined through.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1st burger grind exterior.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	211017
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1st burger grind interior a.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	211018

BTW, Glop is fantastic.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Great looking burger!

Comment

I agree - great looking burger.

Comment

Well that looks delicious!

Comment

the next step is buying a sausage stuffer attachment and making your own brats.

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes! Do we have a recipe on the site for brats?

• rat88
            rat88 commented
            Editing a comment
            I get my stuff from these guys... http://www.sausagemaker.com/sausage-...nds-s/1945.htm

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, great, rat88 thank you for that. I had a quick peak and will circle back when I've got more time.

Looks delicious. How does the Kitchen Aid mixer handle the grinding part? Any signs of straining? I was thinking of buying a dedicated grinder because I wasn't sure if the mixer gearing would be strained grinding meat.

Steve b

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Seemed great although I only ground about 2.5lbs at a time. I can imagine that if you are going to do a lot of burgers that you might want to stop halfway and clean out the meat that doesn't grind but wraps around the parts, but I don't know yet if that's really necessary.

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Get meat semi-frozen in chunks prior to grinding. That should help with meat wrapping. Also be sure it is put together tightly so knife & plate are intimate!

• rat88
            rat88 commented
            Editing a comment
            The fat will get wrapped around the blade and make it work harder. It is a good idea to keep that cleaned out and keep the meat as cold as possible (almost frozen)

Good looking burger! I just bought a food processor and I am hoping to grind my own for the first time on Sunday. Either Chuck or short rib or...
          Thanks for the post!

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            You won't regret it. I was really blown away by taste. I'll never buy ground meat again.

• Ribber
            Ribber commented
            Editing a comment
            Well now I'm getting excited!

sblair1255 - I just purchased the KA attachment a few weeks ago. I have ground one time - about 3 lbs that I cut into small chunks and put in the freezer till stiff but not hard. The grind went well and I did not have anything wrap around the shaft. There was a bit at the end that did not come out, but only a small amount. I was pleased and my next project will be sausage patties.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanx Guest.
            Last edited by RonB; August 19, 2016, 01:44 PM.

• bchbum12
            bchbum12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Terrific idea HorseDoctor. And my dogs thank you too.

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Great tip HorseDoctor. Will definitely try that.

One tip I have found is "they" recommend cutting the meat in 1" cubes, I cut in 1x1 strips. That make the meat "self feeding" in the tube and less time cutting up the meat

Comment

• bchbum12
            bchbum12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Never thought about the "self-feeding" idea . . . but it makes perfect sense. Next time I'll give it a go. Thx rat88.

Nice burger! There's nothing like real homemade burgers.😆👍

Comment

Very nice! Next time, if you can find them, try chuck eye steaks ... their flavor profile is very close to ribeye and I now use them exclusively for ground burger meat.

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I actually read your comments on the chuck eye on a different post and tried to find them...alas, my Costco was fairly limited. I'll grab them when I find them!

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              JCBBQ - I can only find them at a local Safeway where there happens to be a really good butcher. There are only 2 chuck eye steaks per cow ... so they can be hard to find.

Great looking burger

Comment

Welcome terrycj

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here