Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to finish sear at lower temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to finish sear at lower temp

So tried my first reverse sear with burgers tonight. Started with a nice custom blend from Flannery's butchers. I followed the steakhouse recipe on this site and put them on weber 26 indirect at around 250 to an internal temp of about 125 and then finish sear for about a minute a side for a crust. Unfortunately, the finish sear put the temp up about 25 degrees and they had great smoke and flavor but not as much juice as I was looking for. I didn't think the finish sear would add that much temp to the finished product but it does. So next time I will take monitor until they hit 110, then raise lid, get coals smoking hot, and finish sear to an IT of about 135 and take them off and let them rise to 140. With a 25% plus fat content, going over a little over on temp is better than going under IMO. Put some Nathans dogs on the bread rack for protein #2
    Attached Files

I almost ordered from Flannery, but I bought a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchenaide instead. About the same price... LOL
    Mighty fine looking burgers BTW.

Comment

I have found through many trials that front searing burgers results in a juicier burger, for the beef that I buy anyway (which isn't Flannery). Unless you start with really fatty meat like 75/25. I attribute my findings to less time slow cooking and drying out. YMMV.

Comment

• Mitrakas
        Mitrakas commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Huskee. That's the way I usually would cook them as well

On a side note I highly recommend building your own burger blend on Flannery's site. It works out to around $10/lb before shipping, steep for burger i know, but the ingredients are absolutely first rate and when you think of how may people you can feed for a couple pounds it's not that bad.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here