Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: the best CHEESE to turn a perfect hamburger into the perfect cheeseburger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: the best CHEESE to turn a perfect hamburger into the perfect cheeseburger?

What is the one cheese you'd pick for the perfect homemade cheeseburger? Polls are limited to 10 choices, so if yours isn't listed please comment.

Looking for ideas. I want a flavorful cheese that melts good but doesn't get too slimy when melted, but also doesn't steal the show from the flavor of the perfectly grilled juicy meat. I'm asking a lot, yes, but that's why I'm asking our Pit community!
    Processed cheese slices, like Kraft
    15.00%
    Mild cheddar or Colby
    5.00%
    Provolone
    3.33%
    Medium or Sharp cheddar
    45.00%
    Colby Jack
    0%
    Monterrey Jack
    1.67%
    Pepper Jack
    13.33%
    Meunster
    0%
    Gouda
    5.00%
    Havarti
    11.67%
    Last edited by Huskee; June 23, 2016, 07:00 PM.

I picked sharp cheddar only because there wasn't an option for smoked cheese

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      True, I guess I've always found smoked cheese to be redundant on grilled food. What smoked cheese do you like?

• edible hen
      edible hen commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not a big fan of cheese, but my better half is from Canada. I smoke cheddar.

Pepper Jack or just plain ol' white american cheese kinda guy.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 for 'Merican Cheese!

You forgot swiss(gruyere) and bleu cheese. Having said that, from the choices you offer, I would (reluctantly) choose medium or sharp cheddar, as I love most of the choices in the poll. Cheddar is a good go to, at least for me.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Blue cheese on Buffalo burgers

I knew someone would say I forgot some...I can only pick 10 though. Hard to do. Cheddar is always my gold standard too. I'm thinking I might give havarti a try though...love it on eggs and most sandwiches.

Comment

• GBA
      GBA commented
      Editing a comment
      Velveeta

Extra Sharp Tillamook Cheddar cheese was engineered in heaven by the BBQ gawd's.

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen. I grew up on Tillamook in Washington-only cheese we ever bought. Imagine my shock when I go to the store here in NC and Tillamook is in the imported cheese section and is priced like it is imported.

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      I find Cabot's extra sharp white cheddar to be a close second

My first choice for a cheese burger is always Havarti

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I told my wife a slice of havarti and a slice of muenster sounds good to me. She raised an eyebrow. What say you?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Muenster only good as a glue in quesadilla. I get no flavor from it.

I didn't even know this was an issue.... or that there were options... obvious answer has always been 'Merican Cheese... usually yellow but white works too...

then again it really isn't cheese by definition... it is processed cheese with additives or another cheese or something to that affect which usually has Colby, Cheddar, or Jack as a base... So maybe the correct answer is one of those three....

That being said I'm still just a fan of an 'Merican Slice (as it is often referred to by manufactures because it can't legally be called authentic cheese because of some crazy legal mumbo jumbo)...

crap does this mean I am making grilled slices instead of grilled cheese.........??????

Comment

Way back in the Government Shutdown of 2013, I made the perfect cheese for a cheese burger. Fortunately, I ran a blog to document what I was up to during the shutdown. Had to stay busy.

The Perfectly Melting Cheese Slice is an interesting concept. We want to take a real cheese (or two) with big flavor, that might not melt all that smoothly, treat it not entirely unlike the folks a…

Call it 'Murican Plus. (but I voted for Havarti in your poll, because the melty is insane, and the flavor is perfect).

Comment

• martybartram
        martybartram commented
        Editing a comment
        ahhh the shut down. I think I worked every day during the shut down subbing in our elementary, middle and high schools

• martybartram
        martybartram commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty cool blog post

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I had two weeks of pretty much nothing but cooking, and a mostly unused Modernist Cuisine at Home to cook out of. I had a pressure cooker, a couple of sous-vide devices, so, aside from the economic anxiety, I avoided the crushing boredom of what was essentially a lockout. DOL was over 70% furloughed

i stopped at the cheese store last week and picked up some Blue Cheddar. Basically, it's medium cheddar with blue cheese mixed it. incredibly smooth... i sampled some before i bought and found the flavors work very well together. it's just waiting for a burger to top.

Comment

None of your choices. I prefer Hoffman's Super Sharp. Been buying this for 40-45 years. It's a processed cheese product but doesn't taste like it. Melts very well.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          We get Cooper sharp, a sharp American that is quite good on burgers.

I get this in Western NY. It is made somewhere in Wisconsin. So good on burgers! (And crackers also) But I voted for processed cheese slices just because I love the way they melt. Kraft makes a sharp cheese slice that tastes better than the American slice
        Last edited by ssandy_561; June 24, 2016, 03:18 AM.

Comment

I've always been partial to medium or sharp cheddar, but recently I've converted to mild or medium Gouda. It's just got a little more nuttiness to it that I prefer.

That being said, there isn't one on the list that I'd turn down. I'd put provolone last, though, it doesn't really belong on a proper burger. Maybe if you did a pepperoni burger it would be okay.

Comment

depends on the burger. if i am having a jalapeno burger i want pepper jack, if i am having a bar burger i want american, if i am making it at home i tend to use cheddar, if i add mushrooms the go-to is swiss.

either way i voted for cheddar since i am assuming you mean just a plain hamburger

Comment

One of the following:
            - Extremely sharp cheddar. I have no time at all for mild - medium cheddar, its just flavorless fat for no reason in my opinion.
            - Blue cheese like Stilton or Gorgonzola.
            - Brie with something sweet like sliced apples, pears, fig jam or bacon jam.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here