Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-formed Burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-formed Burgers

I need some help, calling all pitmasters! My plans for this weekend grilling got a little hijacked because I have family unexpectedly coming into town and we are all going to my parents' house. My mom had already bought a bunch of pre-formed hamburger patties from Costco (the sirloin burgers). I volunteered to man the grill, is there anything I can do to make these more appetizing? I think there are also hot dogs on the menu, regular kind, guessing there isn't that much to modify there. My parents have a grill with lava rocks if that makes a difference, or if necessary I could take my kettle and SnS.

Sirloin burgers, ground meat minus any edible flavors. I would wrap them in bacon.

Comment

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      Wrap them in bacon from the start? Would they finish at the same time? A slice or two or covered in bacon? How to pin the bacon to the patty? This is intriguing but I don't know that I would convince many people to try it.

PBCDad - I'm assuming these burgers are 80/20. I love hamburgers, every hamburger except those preformed patties. They just smash everything together. Oh well, when life hands you lemons ...

Have you thought of seasoning them for about an hour with various kinds of rubs? I've done that before and it gives people a choice before their burger is cooked. I've also gone really basic and used Lawry's Seasoned Salt. That makes people stop and look. Most people really enjoy it. I"d also do something like caramelized onions and shallots. That takes about an hour and should be done well before you put the burgers on the grill. I have also grilled slices of tomato and thin onion slices as garnish for the basic burger. Most folks never think to grill their onion slices or tomatoes. I've also done a balsamic vinegar reduction that one uses instead of any other condiment. It basically turns the burger into a salad inside a bun. There are all manner of balsamic vinegar sauce recipes all over the internet. As for hotdogs, I'm not much help there. Maybe some sautéed jalapeños and onions. I'd give various mustards a try. I love yellow mustard and it's my go to, but some of the Continental mustards are a nice break.

I wish you well. Enjoy!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      +1^... Especially the caramelized onions.😎

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      I like all these ideas. Do you like Worcestershire sauce or other liquids on burgers? Unfortunate when the seasoning has to be the main flavor instead of a compliment.
      Hopefully even just having the thermapen handy will make them juicier than how they are normally cooked.

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      PBCDad - the problem I see with Worchestershire Sauce, or similar sauces, is that they really don't penetrate the meat. It's almost like liquid rub, it just sits there. Now if you're mixing it into the burger, now you've got something!

I don't see a sirloin burger being 80/20. More like 95/5.

Comment

I would do the caramelized onions for sure and use your Kettle grill too. The seasoning ideas are good but I'd bring along some good cheese too. Use the preformed burgers as they are and be sure to tell your Mom she did a good job getting them!!!

Comment

I'd be tempted to break them up then reform them loosely.

Comment

My personal view- if hand-ground patties are 10, hand-made preground patties are 9, the preformed patties are 7. 7 is still pretty good. I wouldn't worry much.

Comment

I agree with Huskee the people showing up for the cook probably dont have the discriminating palate that you do. Meat cooked over coals (and maybe wood chunks) are going to be far superior to McDonald's fare they are probably use too. They are going to think your a master BBQ er!! Smile then blow their minds the next cook at your house!!

Comment

For holidays, I try to remind myself that guests have certain food expectations, which are usually the more traditional flavors. If you try to hype-up the burgers, there will be some (many, especially if kids are there) who will say "but I wanted a real hamburger". Been there.

For that reason, I offer both--plain traditional burgers and then some hyped-up burgers on the side for the more adventurous. The key to offering plain traditional burgers is to offer some really great condiments and/or toppings, like CeramicChef's recommends: caramelized onions, and of course cooked bacon and some delicious cheeses. That way you can custom-make some burgers on the fly by adding toppings a little bit before taking the meat off the grill.

I recall one Thanksgiving when I made two turkeys; a traditional one conventionally roasted in the oven and the other smoked on my PBC with PBC's All Purpose Rub. The first time through the buffet, the conventional turkey was chosen by most. After all, it's comfort food, traditional for Thanksgiving. When the few who chose the smoked turkey started their raves, everyone else made a beeline for the smoked turkey platter for seconds and started their raves. Teach a (wo)man to eat good smoked food, and they'll be angling for invites from there on out.

Kathryn

Comment

I tend to sprinkle on a hamburger rub or an all purpose rub (salt, pepper, garlic powder) and maybe a pinch of onion powder... Been known to use the Worchestershire Sauce as well... All that being said, I completely agree with fzxdoc on this. I would make some killer condiments for it: Bacon, carmelized onions, couple different cheeses, fried egg (something that is catching on around here), A1, BBQ sauce, etc... and let people make their own kind of burger.

For hotdogs: If you have the time take some and cut them longways then I take a block of cheese I buy at the store (your preference in type) and cut a triangle shape wedge and put that into the slice I made on the dog. I then wrap the thing in bacon and grill it up. Those tend to be a hit for adults and kids at my cookouts.

Happy grilling!

Comment

An hour or three before the cook coat each side of the patty with 1 TBS Italian Dressing and 1 TBS Moore's Marinade (apply the Moore's first). Trust me on this.

Leave in refrigerator until time to cook, then cook as you usually would a burger.

Comment

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I need to try to find some of that Moore's Marinade... My parents get beef processed and always get a bunch of preformed patties when they do... This may be a solution I am looking for.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds delicious. I tried your Moore's Marinade-based recipe (Parrinade) on chicken and it was outstanding.

Kathryn

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad you liked it fzxdoc. The Parrinade works great on burgers too!

Daddy Hinkle's marinade. Brush the liquid on then lightly dust the marinade on top and let them sit 30 minutes to an hour. Looking for some beef ribs to do Monday myself.

Comment

I have no problem with preformed burgers. I do have a problem with SIRLOIN burgers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                      I have no problem with preformed burgers. I do have a problem with SIRLOIN burgers.

I don't even much care for Prime Rib burgers. Good ole 80/20 chuck is my fave of faves.

Comment

A batch of burger glop makes everything taste great, same for carmelized onions, bacon and sharp cheddar.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here