Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burgers (Ground Chuck Eye Steaks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burgers (Ground Chuck Eye Steaks)

Here are some pics from my burger cook. Additional pictures and details of my cook are located here:

Notes and pictures below of my ground chuck eye steak burger cook.  I used a couple of chuck eye steaks and a food processor to make my own ground beef burgers.

I took my WSM bottom and put it up on my gas grill to cook over charcoal, but it was rather difficult to get leverage since I'm vertically challenged. The burgers were pretty good, but I learned a few things during the cook that I could likely do better next time like more seasoning and a finer grind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160130_163905.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	139351 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160130_171108.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	139352 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160130_182053.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	139353

I like a fine grind on everything. Tried course and the texture did not jive with me one bit.

With sausage we do a test patty before we declare the whole batch "seasoned."

Comment

• josht138
      josht138 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. Lesson learned. I read too much into the overhandling of the meat stuff and went with a coarse ground. It was not very appetizing to get a chunk of fat in the bite of your burger.

Chuck Eye steak is all I use these days for grinding hamburger meat. My procedure is similar to yours except that, instead of boiling, I "dry pasteurize" by searing over a "warp 10" sear burner for 30 seconds or so on each surface of the steak. I then cut into chunks and partially freeze the meat for 20 - 30 minutes prior to grinding. In a food processor, I grind in small batches to a considerably finer grind than what you show in your pictures and take a few seconds to pick over the ground meat to remove any lumps of fat, sinew, silver skin, etc., before grinding the next small batch. I don't season at all prior to making the burger patties. When I do season the patties, all I use is onion salt, garlic salt, and dried basil (crushed to a powder between finger tips when applying). I then cook them indirect (basically treating the burgers like little steaks) on my Weber gasser to 125 deg. F before moving them to the sear station. They turn out somewhere between medium and medium-rare ... and are always awesome. Nice job with the blog BTW!

Comment

• josht138
      josht138 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the suggestions and the praise!

Great blog josht138 . Lots of great information!

Comment

• josht138
      josht138 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Thanks for sharing. Your seasoning is very similar to the one I use. I'll try your "dry pasteurize" method and see how it turns out.

Comment

• josht138
      josht138 commented
      Editing a comment
      I used brisket recently on a similar cook and ground the beef a little finer. I also just coated the surface with some big bad beef rub. They turned out excellent!

cottoncraig here's a few pics from my latest cook of burgers.
    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here