Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK Onion burgers: onions first or burger first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK Onion burgers: onions first or burger first?

I’ve seen this both ways. I’ve only done the onions first and smashed the burger into them, because when I learned about them that was what the videos showed. Now all the videos show the burger smashed, the onions piled on top, then the whole thing flipped as the burger chars.

I think they probably come out great either way, and the change is probably because onions on top is easier. I mean, it really shouldn’t matter, y’know?
    I grill the onions and smash the burger into them, then flip
    61.11%
    I smash the burger first, then put the onions on top, then flip
    38.89%

The poll is expired.

I don’t think it really matters but the videos I saw had the burger on the griddle first so that’s how I do them. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

I make them like a smash burger with the onions on top.

Comment

• RlsRls
        RlsRls commented
        Editing a comment
        I do onions then meat, then flip, chesse on the onion part, then onto the roll.

I thought the argument in favor of burger first is a more uniform smash of the meat and more even crust on that first side.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        That makes sense. I think this type of evolution is positive. If it wasn’t better in some way, it wouldn’t change.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Correct, crust on one side mostly. Even with regular smashburgers (i.e., sans onions), you don't get the same crust on the second side. Probably because the griddle has cooled somewhat, and the meat has heated somewhat. So I can't see doing it onions first, or you conceivably wouldn't get that spectacular crust on either side. The onions steam up through the meat, imparting flavor, but making it too wet to really get crusty.

• RlsRls
        RlsRls commented
        Editing a comment
        regardless of the order ,only one side is gonna get a real crust anyway so it doesn't really make a big diffwence!

I do the burger and onions separate.

Flip burger then pile already cooked onions on it then cheese on top of that so the cheese melts gluing the onions to the burger. I don’t want the onions to interfere with the crust formation. Especially on the first side.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        This is the way.

Since I don't like raw onions on (or in) my burger, I sauté them first then set aside on a relatively cool spot of the griddle. I then smash the burger alone, top with the sautéed onions, then flip when the first side of the smash burger is done. Best of both worlds ...

Comment

Griddle the onions. Then smash the burger into them. Then I like to add mustard to the un-onioned side, flip and mustard fry that side.

Comment

Is there a national smash burger day? Aug 24, 2023
          https://www.bing.com/search?q=nation...ded7a797444f8e

Ode To A Hamburger by J. Wellington Wimpy - Bing video

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Everyday

I don't smash burgers. Preference is thick and juicy.

Comment

I’ve done them all the ways mentioned here…. but settled on the way that suits me in taste and leftover use…

I griddle a portion of onions…
            Press my favorite mix and grind of meats into the already caramelizing onions…

I flip when I have the crust I like…
            Then remove when I get the desired crust on the second side…

Serving with no additional components other than my sauce…
            I toast the outside of the buns and season the outside of the bun only…

I griddle enough to have leftovers…
            The onions don’t separate from the burgers during storage in the refrigerator…

I love the flavor of my burgers…. But how the onions are handled has little to do with the overall flavor IMO…

It’s the combination of meats and fat percentage, sauce flavor, bun toasting and seasoning method…
            Last edited by Washblue; December 10, 2022, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I like to slice white onions very thin on the mandolin. pile onions on a 3-4 ounce ball of loose/not packed 80/20 on the griddle then smash it with a big heavy bacon press. Cook till there is a good sear, pretty quick then flip and put cheese on while the onions carmelize. I can do at least 16 at once on the FTG600 and get requests for these from family all the time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here