Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smash Burger Prep πŸ”πŸ”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smash Burger Prep πŸ”πŸ”

I present to you 21 smash burgers waiting to be born (that's actually 42 smash burger "eggs"). Made from a couple of packer brisket flats I ground up. I think I'll be set for burgers for a while. πŸ‘

That's my wife's new Microsoft Studio Laptop in the background which I'm currently working on configuring for her before it replaces her current laptop. πŸ§‘Γ’β‚¬ΒΓ°ΕΈβ€™Β»

Click image for larger version  Name:	smashburgereggs.jpg Views:	125 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	1294318
    Last edited by raywjohnson; October 17, 2022, 03:03 AM.

I have so thought of pre-making the burger balls for smash burgers, and freezing them. I've just never had the nerve to try it. Does it work pretty well, and can you tell a difference from smashing fresh ground beef? How far in advance before grilling do you pull them out to thaw?

This would be ideal for me, as the local Fresh Market always has a good sale on ground chuck every TUESDAY, but I don't want to buy ground beef and hang onto it until the weekend most times, unless I do plan to freeze it.

Comment

Do you add fat to them? What’s the approximate fat percentage of your brisket flats?

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, thanks!

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      I also do a double grind, starting with my largest die and then doing it again with a medium die. I find this helps to distribute the fat more evenly through the ground meat.

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      I worked at a locally owned grocery as a youngster and we always ground the meat, let it sit in the cooler, change the die and then grind it into "ground beef". You're absolutely right about the fat being better mixed in with the meat on the second grind.

I do the same only I just use sandwich bags. It's very convenient now that I ditched my chest freezer for an upright. Before that sometimes they would get lost.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Z9lWM14E0JriEWPjf8rw9QX5Q2T9cGNYI8T-Av81MpH6VBvmA-JtCAt0_w4R6wQmdE4w-x4p4wV476-JxOF5GWhUz8qAmvQnIVoatZ6j9IMnU5d07UfdFMgJVq5J6qJt8OQL42-yZX9bVOyw1YyKhq7UAeu_PcMJ-diPUJqiLGfn70ZIH1wH7p17UBLfhEDjGSp36czY6rEzgaTa6vSOiWtGC5URKXwZCWzNagibdO5zW2_Vea_xiaTQUWGdyg9
Views:	176
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1294338

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally with you on the chest versus upright. If it were entirely up to me I'd have already ditched our chest freezer, instead, I'm just patiently waiting for it to die.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I've only had it for a month or so. It's been a life changer.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the upright freezer. I have one (ditched the chest) and I agree it is a game changer. The only thing is ya gotta watch out for toe-busters falling on ya, otherwise win win.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here