Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reheat cheeseburgers w/ sous vide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reheat cheeseburgers w/ sous vide?

I made some really outstanding cheeseburgers today. I mean, these were just damn good. However, because part of cooking out means you make so much stuff that there will always be leftovers, I have 3 burgers left over.

I’m thinking, there is no reason these burgers couldn’t be vacuum sealed, then sous vided to 130°-140°, and eaten as if they were cooked the same day. I mean, why not? Anyone tried this?

You mean just the patties? Sure you can do that.

Comment

Ive only done it a few times and not in a while. My recollection is that if you go straight from sous vide to bun you lose a lot of the hot off the grill texture and bite. Its easier with no cheese on it, but i recommend sous vide, wipe the cheese off, whack it real quick in a cast iron to get that bite back and melt some fresh cheese over it. Little bit more of a PITA but worth it IMO.

EDIT: im assuming vac'd and frozen. If you arent freezing then yeah, probably good to go.
      Last edited by grantgallagher; May 30, 2022, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I go from leftovers in fridge to like 30 seconds on high in the microwave. Cheese the last few seconds. Certainly not the same as fresh, but it’s good.

I assume SV works also. But, you’d be done in like 30 seconds in the microwave.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          This is what I do as well.

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          But, what power level do I use buddy? I know you have tried 5 versus 8.

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          STEbbq that made me chuckle quite a bit!!!! For sure I’ve fiddled with it. Hamburger is a tricky beast to power level correctly!!!

Yup, nuke em Danno! Why dilly fit around.

Comment

Idk, I’ve nuked ‘em before and they dry out I think. I’m trying to save the juiciness.
          Last edited by Mosca; November 2, 2022, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            Try using 50% power on the nuker. The softer heating leads to less drying.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Also put a cup of water in the mochine.

Give it a whirl and report back. We will wait patiently for your results.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip View Post
            Give it a whirl and report back. We will wait patiently for your results.
            Well, it definitely works, well. Since it was the first time, I tried 130° for half an hour; that gave a warm burger, but not hot. Next time I'll do 150°.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220531_093800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	1229447

Building the burger:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220531_094313.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	1229448

Oops, forgot the secret topping!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220531_094418.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	1229449

The only thing I was really worried about was how the cheese would come out of the bag, so I cut three sides and just peeled it back, and it was fine. The one thing I tried to get in the photo, I don't know if you can see it or not, is that the burger kept its moisture. It wasn't exactly the same as right off the grill, but it was close enough for a breakfast burger. (I remember hearing somewhere that hamburgers are the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast.) I've been served burgers that were worse. Heck, I've made burgers that were worse!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220531_094526.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	1229450

That's it for the pictures, I needed to eat that hamburger. But this is about the same difficulty and pain as getting out the frying pan, because then you got to clean the pan. And it's more of a pain in the butt then putting it in the microwave, but I prefer the results I think.

Last edited by Mosca; November 2, 2022, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Part 2. 30 minutes at 155°. Burger came out hot and juicy. The rest of the pictures are because I like taking pictures of burgers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9BD1B1BF-C33C-42F9-A6B1-89262EE9BABA.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1229730

Name:	401C70CB-FB49-49AB-8F6F-5B61AB7FB8BD.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1229731

Name:	DAE0ADF0-F32F-4BF3-950E-C584BBD18036.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1229732

Name:	772AC152-65A1-4A2E-A97A-5ACAF77ED592.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1229733

Comment

Looking to do this for some burgers I’m gonna take into work for my department. Grilling them at work is not an option. Mosca about what thickness were these burgers. I really can’t tell by the picture.

Thanks.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh hell, I don’t remember. Probably 1/4 lb smashers. So, 1/2”, I’d guess.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here