Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Your Thanksgiving pie REALLY Pumpkin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a Texan married to a Mississippi lady there is only one choice....PECAN!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you say 'pee-con', 'pee-can' or 'peekin'?

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      I have always said Pee-con.

I've always found pumpkin pie to be disgusting.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      And here I was *just* starting to think I liked you ...

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      A LOT of things are an acquired taste! Give it one more try?

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Fortunately, growing up there was always apple pie and my hands down favorite blackberry pie.

No one fries up or bakes pumpkin to go with dinner, usually only squash, yet pumpkin'ssupposed to be the pie gourd. Is there any difference taste-wise between a pumpkin and a squash? Are pumpkins harder to work with? It seems millions of pumpkins are grown for decoration but why are they not used more for food? Trying to understand the reasons here.

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee -- Decorative pumpkins are really bland. You'd not want to use them for eating. I think the reason why store bought "pumpkin" might be mostly butternut squash is that butternuts have a lot of flesh in proportion to the skin and seed cavity. From a processor's point of view, butternuts need less work to process, create less waste, and give a better yield compared to pumpkins.

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      As far as home growers go, I'm not as sure why pumpkins aren't eaten as much as squash. From my perspective as a gardener, there are some stellar squash varieties being produced by seed companies -- smooth creamy flesh, sweet and flavorful, long keepers. I suppose there are people producing seed for high quality eating pumpkins, but I can't say you see pages of pumpkin varieties in the seed catalogs like you do (non pumpkin) squash varieties.

We started making our pie from butternut squash, and it is SO much better! To me, pumpkin doesn’t have that much flavor. It’s really the spices that make the pie.

Comment

Mince Meat + hard rum sauce.
      enough said !

Comment

My Aunt used to make a squash pie from scratch, delicious!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here