Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French apple tart...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French apple tart...

I joke with my wife about my tiny crush on Ina Garten, the barefoot contessa... while i ignore her advice on ribs and bbq, she know her pastries. This one is super simple but i recommend covering the entire cooking surface with parchment paper.
    Yoder 640 at 400F. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1946083

Click image for larger version

Name:	apple tart.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	618386

That looks wonderful.

Comment

I'd could eat the rest of that right now with my crawfish etouffee.

Comment

I like Ina as well, but a crush? I don’t know man, maybe on her cooking. The tart looks amazing regardless, love to have a big bowl full!!

Comment

• fracmeister
          fracmeister commented
          Editing a comment
          To each his own bro. My wife won't let me have a crush on some hottie! This is the best I can do...

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Well if that's the case, beer ain't champagne but it sure can get you where you need to go !!!

Nice!--I've been looking to expand into more baking/pastries and this may be the inspiration needed to get going.

Comment

• fracmeister
          fracmeister commented
          Editing a comment
          It is really easy --- just looks hard

Looks very tasty Someday I will cook it...

Comment

That does look truly delicious!

Similar recipes on this general theme -- https://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2...fold-over-pie/ and https://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2...apple-galette/ I've been using the pastry recipe on Serious Eats with very good results.

I have a small beef with the ubiquitous use of Granny Smith apples in recipes. Yes, they work fine, but it seems like the cheffy types have turned a blind eye to the wonderful range of apples available to consumers.

Another beef about Granny Smiths is they only grow in Zones 6 through 8 -- warmer climate apples -- so locally grown GSs are not available in my colder upper Midwest region.

There are other apples with as good or better flavor than Granny Smith that also stay firm and intact in pastries. I'm sure GSs are a safe choice, but why not list a few other suitable apple varieties as alternatives?

I ate at a small restaurant in western Wisconsin yesterday. It is run by French nuns and monks who prefer to use local foods. They were making omelettes and gorgeous tarts using local apples with heavenly flavor. These apples performed every bit as well as GSs.

edit: Here's a link to the restaurant website: https://www.stfrancishermitage.org/
          Last edited by IowaGirl; October 21, 2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            IowaGirl thank you the recipe for the Rustic Apple Galettesound great will try it.

4 1/2 years later, the link was still good and so was the recipe. I had been thinking of tart tatin as we enter into apple season, and this was a decent stand-in until I can get to the real thing.

Comment

• fracmeister
            fracmeister commented
            Editing a comment
            Time to make this again!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here