Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baking pound cake on my Big Green Egg...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baking pound cake on my Big Green Egg...

When not grilling or smoking meat or after a low and slow cook sometimes I'll bake a lemon pound cake for dessert. It's easy to do. Give it a try sometime.

Here's a picture... https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/8720256873/

And here is the recipe with instructions...

Cake batter...
    • 11/2 cups (6 ounces) cake flour
    • 1 Teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 Teaspoon salt
    • 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • 1 1/4 cups (8 3/4 ounces ) sugar
    • 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest plus 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.

You'll need
    • 2 lemons
    • 4 large eggs, room temperature
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Lemon glaze...
    • 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) sugar
    • 1/4 cup of lemon juice

1) This recipe calls for a 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 inches loaf pan. Adjust oven rack to the middle shelf and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour your loaf pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

2)*Use your food processor, if you have one, or a blender. They say don't use a standup mixer. Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk melted butter thoroughly to reincorporate any seperated milk solids. Pulse sugar and lemon zest in food processor until combined, about 5 pulses.* Add lemon juices , eggs, and vanilla extract and process until combined, about 5 seconds.* With processor running, *add melted butter in a steady stream (this should take about 20 seconds. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.* Sift flour mixture over sugar mixture in 3 steps, whisking gently after each addition until just combined.*

3) pour batter into prepared pan and smooth with a rubber spatula.
    Bake for 15 minutes; then reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and continue baking (for about 35 more minutes) *until deep golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

*Also remember to rotate you loaf pan 90 degrees halfway through you cook time.*

Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.

*Poke cake's top and sides with a toothpick ( you're making little holes for the glaze to sink into) let cake cool completely, at least 1 hour.*

Cooled cake can be plastic wrapped and stored at room temperature for up to 5 days.

For the lemon glaze: while cake is cooling, bring sugar and lemon juice to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Brush top and sides of cake with glaze and let cool completely before serving. *
    Last edited by Huskee; January 29, 2015, 01:40 PM.

Beautiful job Wartface! I just purchased a kamado, and am looking forward to the baking as much as the grilling.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      If you like to bake... You now have a better baking device than your kitchen oven. Less temperature variation, better air flow - like outdoor Hearth ovens have and just think of all of the beers you can consume while you are waiting for your bread to cook.

I'm no expert on baking bread in a ceramic oven but... I bet I've studied it more than most people have. Some of this info... That I composed to help a fellow Egghead (i'm copying and pasting) might help you shorten your learning curve some. Pick through it and see what you think might work for you.

My setup and process for baking bread on my Big Green Egg...

Process... I cook both sourdough and ciabatta at 500 degrees while it is under the stainless steel mixing bowl. Half way through the estimated time of the cook... 15 minutes for ciabatta bread, 30 minutes for sourdough bread, I take the mixing bowl off, rotate the loaf 180 degrees and turn the heat down to 465 degrees. The back side of your BGE is the hot side so I might rotate the loaf once more to get even browning. 

My rig... 
      My Rig... She's a beauty. She's a grill. She's a smoker. She's an Oven. She's a Wok.. She's a Pizza oven. She's a Hearth oven for bread. And this babe has all of the sexy extra's. Dual beer bottle opener's - I wouldn't want my friend's to wait in line.. A light hooked to the handle for late night cooks. A Towel rack. Caster's to move her around when needed. There are 9 of those duel hooks attached around the rail just below the table top to hang lot's of doohickey's on. She's good to go and She's smoking hot! Plastic container's for lump storage.

Pizza stone elevated above the felt line using BGE's GX grill extender...

Being higher in the dome allows for maximum air flow. 

Stainless steel mixing bowl to trap the steam from the water you spray onto your loaf right after you score it... Then it goes right on to your stone. 
      Pizza stone and mixing bowl gets preheated to 500 degrees... I prefer my bread a little darker with a firmer crust than you get at Safeway. Then you score/slash the loaf and spray it with water right before you put it on the stone. Then you put the mixing bowl over it to create steam for the first 20 minutes of the cook. That helps keep the skin moist while the oven spring is happening and it helps you get really good Ear's/Grigne. Then you remove the mixing bowl to allow the bread to brown. You can watch it brown through the top vent in the picture so... No need to open the lid and allow the heat to escape. The BGE has less heat variance that a gas oven does. A gas oven goes about 10 degrees above your chosen temp and 10 degrees below. The BGE will only rise or lower about 3 degrees in a half hour cook, once you learn to use your vents to control the temperature.

No daisy wheel so you get maximum air flow and so you can see your bread browning... Without losing heat.
      You can peer right down the top vent to see how your loaf is browning without losing heat.

My final steps before starting the baking process for bread, sourdough and ciabatta.
      My tools to bake bread outdoors. A rubber mitt to lift the mixing bowl on and off of the pizza stone. A fish spatula to lift the mixing bowl up so I can grab it with the rubber mitt. A little brush to sweep the semolina off that was in the proofing bowl. My lame. Parchment paper to make it easy to slide the dough off the peel onto the pizza stone. A spray bottle to mist the dough before putting it on the pizza stone. And my oven, the Big Green Egg.

A water misting bottle, my lame (scoring knife), a heat resistant glove, a fish spatula (because it is very thin) to lift the stainless steel mixing bowl that has been preheated to 500 degrees, parchment paper, my final shaped and final proofed loaf in its proofing basket, a small light brush... To dust off the seminole flour from the top of the loaf that picked off of the bottom of the proofing basket... for my sourdough loaves  and a pizza peel. 

Some of my bread cooks...

Look at the rise of this loaf... I added a big deeper stainless steel mixing bowl.
      This is the same recipe I have been using for a couple of month's... Shasta's sourdough. the only change for this entire cook was my new bigger mixing bowl.

crumb...https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/8942264745/

A good day of baking sourdough bread... Look at the color and those blisters
      uploaded:by=flickrmobile, flickriosapp:filter=nofilter

I prefer my bread a little darker than you can buy at Safeway.

I found the hardest thing to learn and perfect in my sourdough learning curve was... Scoring the loaf to get really good decorative patterns on your loaf... https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_p...s/15848868629/
      If you don't score your dough at the perfect angle and depth your loaf will come out flat... No ear's. 
      uploaded:by=flickrmobile, flickriosapp:filter=nofilter

Ciabatta bread. Large loaves and hoagie size rolls...

My official taste testers...

if you want a really good reliable sourdough recipe and the processes of how to do it properly... Let me know.

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      I bake most of our bread, and bake a lot at work. I'm looking into the vagaries of my kamado. I just did a test burn to get a feel for temp adjustments, etc. I'll do one more to make sure I have a good grip on how my kamado reacts to my method(s).
      As we're starting a house building project this spring, I had to do what I normally don't when buying my kamado. I settled. I just bought an Akorn. When the house is finished enough to move into, I'll get a ceramic kamado(brand uncertain at this point.)

I think I might be as much a fanatical baker as you are! We mill our own flour, make our own natural leavening(s), including buying different imported starters(pretty cheap, really). I started doing all this with a crappy electric oven. However, I lined the oven with tile. Tile made a huge difference. I think using my kamado will be the missing link.

I love what you've done with your rig, and will do my own version(s) with what I have. Thank you so much for the treatise on kamado baking. I have a lot of work to do, now...

Huskee... Help! My text got condensed again. Can you break this into the proper spacing for me please.

Comment

Done!

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Huskee... Maybe if I wasn't so fugal and would put this very first addition of the iPad out of its memory I could navigate your site better but... I've never been the type to rush out and buy the newest anything. This one I'm gleefully pushing the limit on!

Very similar to mine, except I always use lemon and orange zest.
      Last edited by Ernest; January 30, 2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I got this recipe from American Test Kitchen website a few years ago. You may have too. They are into creating the proper processes and ingredients to create the perfect dish... Just like AR is.

Here is what they said about their formulation of this recipe...

"We set out to formulate a superior lemon pound cake recipe (fine-crumbed, rich, moist, and buttery) while making the process as simple and foolproof as possible. Using a food processor ensured perfect emulsification of the eggs, sugar, and melted butter; adding baking powder to the cake increased lift and produced a consistent crumb; and finishing the cake with lemon sugar syrup delivered a blast of flavor." Makes one 9 by 5-inch cake, serving 8

"You can use a blender instead of a food processor to mix the batter. To add the butter, remove the center cap of the lid so it can be drizzled into the whirling blender with minimal splattering. This batter looks almost like a thick pancake batter and is very fluid."

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here