Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The easiest pie crust ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The easiest pie crust ever?

I received an email from food52 today with several recipes. One was for the supposedly easiest pie dough ever. I read through it and it is indeed very easy. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm gonna give it a try very soon. You can not only use this recipe for desserts, but for pot pies - think shredded chuckie with veggies, or grilled chicken, or smoked turkey pot pies. Don't want to mess with a pie pan - make hand pies. Bookmark or follow this topic and post what you make using this recipe here. Are you man enough, (or woman enough), to give this a try?

https://food52.com/blog/20320-this-g..._term=10384487

There is a link in the above article to the actual recipe.

Those of you making bread or pizza dough should be all over this.

Thanks!

Comment

Nice....
      Last edited by Nate; August 21, 2017, 05:22 AM.

Comment

If it is easier than buying it than I might have to try it.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          I live close to an Amish community... I just leave it to the experts! They even make and sell pie crust. They also did all the desserts for my wedding.

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          That or buy one at Sam's club

My wife is going to be all over this one!! She has spent 45 years in pursuit of the perfect pie crust. We just bought a box of Western Colorado Peaches hauled in special to the local Tractor Supply parking lot. These peaches are absolutely the best I have ever eaten in my entire life. The facebook page advertising them states the largest one they've actually weighed is 1/2 ounce shy of a pound. RIPE peaches are one of Gods gifts!!

Comment

I see grilled apple pie in my IMMEDIATE future! Way easer than the way I always do it, and the results look better!

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            GRLLED APPLE PIE? now you got me wondering.

It looks like a basic pie dough. Only difference is the butter chunks instead of rubbing it in. This is more like a short crust than a traditional pie dough.
          RonB skip the sugar and you can use it for savory pies.

Comment

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            I usually cut it in with one of them butter cutter inner tools.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            I run the flour with butter and real lard combo in the processor. Then mix in the cold water by hand.

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Ernest - butter's melting point is below body temp while lard's melting temp is above body temp. If you eat pie at room temp that's made with lard you can get a greasy feel in your mouth. That's why I prefer all butter. However, I wouldn't turn down pie made with lard.

I would swap out the butter for bacon grease, but other than that, looks good to me. I have to admit though, my wife is the baker in the house.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Bacon grease tends to melt quickly at room temp. I use butter/ real lard combo

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            it does melt, but it is ohhh so good, and comes out flakey for my wife none the less.

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with Ernest that bacon grease melts a too low a temp. The reason pie crust,and other flakey doughs are flakey is that the solid shortening separates the layers of flour long enough during baking to create the flakiness.

OK folks, I made some cherry hand pies with this dough this afternoon. The crust was flakey, but a bit tough. However, some of the filling did leak out and may have been the tough part. More tests are necessary.

Comment

UPDATE!

I made some small "cookies" from the dough. It is flakey and tastes good, but it is tough. I will go back to my never fail pie dough recipe from Kenji. It's easier to make, (if you have a food processor), and I get tender, flakey, and great tasting results.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here