Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic pie dough recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic pie dough recipe

BBQbot here is the recipe, again it is a very simple plain recipe you can find anywhere. I use all butter because lard is hard for me to find keep the butter flavor. I mix mine in the food processor takes just a couple of minutes to mix. Only use a pulse settinghere and I don't use enough of it to justify it, you can use it, it really makes a nice crust but try 1/2 butter and 1/2 lard to keep the butter flavor. I mix mine in the food processor takes just a couple of minutes to mix. Only use a pulse setting. This will make a dbl. crust pie, when you divide it for the dbl crust make one half slightly larger it takes more for the bottom crust than the top. I brush the top with half and half you can use milk or egg wash and 2 pinches of sugar sprinkled on top

2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon kosher salt

16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2-inch cubes

¼ cup ice water

Instructions

Put the flour and salt into the large work bowl fitted with the large chopping blade. Process on High to sift, 10 seconds.

Evenly disperse the butter on top of the flour mixture. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 14 pulses. Pour in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the mixture just forms a dough—you may not need all of the water.

Divide the dough equally into 2 pieces and form each into a flat disk. Wrap each with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to use, up to 1 week. This dough also freezes well, up to 3 months.

TIP: For a sweet pastry dough, add 11/2 tablespoons of granulated sugar to the dry ingredients in the work bowl.

Thanx. I use a very similar recipe by Kenji. It's also done in the food processor. Sugar helps with the browning of the crust, so I consider it a necessary ingredient although you can cut it back a bit if you don't want the crust to be sweet.

Comment

I'm going to try this, thanks customtrim
      Your crust looked amazing!

Comment

Comment

An Alton Brown trick is to freeze the butter then grate it on your box grater. Works well for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here