Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshmallow recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marshmallow recipe

Since some have requested it, I will post the Marshmallow recipe. it is easily adapted for flavors. you can simply use various flavor oils, I like LorAnn, from the local sweet making shop, or, you can play from scratch.

to adapt the recipe from the ingredients, the key to remember is to change the ingredients. this is another like bread, blank slate recipes. where, once you can make the starter recipe, you can start playing with substitutions to create what you really love. You need a sugar syrup, so, for Maple Bacon, swap out the corn syrup for Maple syrup and add some chopped up candied bacon.

For fruity marshmallows, substitute the water in the pot and the gelatin, with a frozen fruit juice concentrate. of course, the spice rack is always a great place to play. One of HWMO's favorites is 'Hot Chocolate', made with a few tablespoons of coco powder in the mix and a half to a teaspoon of Cayenne, depending on your spicy tolerance. I also will add a touch of coco powder to the powdered sugar mixture to coat. The possibilities are endless. please, take a picture and let me know if you try it. these are truly dead easy and always a huge hit.

WARNING: once you have made these, you'll never pick up a bag of preservative artificial whatever, dried out squashed marshmallow impersonators from the grocery. some things are just too good when home made to allow your taste buds to go back.

it is one of the best loved bits of candy in the US is Marshmallows. They are everywhere and for good reason. Marshmallows are light, fluffy and can be flavored and used in an endless number of ways. Marshmallows are made in a syrup phase and a gel phase. Then they are molded to set and cut.

To start, we need
    4 ½ packets of powdered gelatin
    The seeds of two Vanilla beans
    And
    ¾ cup water

18oz Granulated sugar
    ¾ cup Light Corn Syrup
    ¾ cup Water
    Pinch salt

To start, the first thing we’ll do is line the pan. I use the base of the pan to being measuring my parchment paper. Fold the paper on three sides, then turn the pan over and fit the last fold inside. With the paper inside, open the corners and crease to form an inverted hospital corner with the paper. Notice that the corners won’t be exactly 90 degrees. That’s because the pan isn’t straight sided. Just follow the angles of your pan.

Once lined, give the paper a light spray of cooking oil, then dust with a mixture of half powdered sugar and half corn starch. Hang onto that powder mix, you’ll be using it again.

Put water, gelatin and vanilla bean into the bowl of your stand mixer and give it a quick mix so that all the gelatin is wet.

Next, put the water, corn syrup, water and salt into a saucepan and add your candy thermometer. I prefer a bulb thermometer. Whichever kind you use, calibrate it with ice water and boiling water before using.

Cook the syrup to 240 degrees. This will take around 5-8 minutes so watch carefully. Once you pass the boiling point and all the water is boiled off, the syrup can heat quite quickly.

When you reach 240, turn off the neat, remove the thermometer and start your mixer. Slowly pour the syrup in a thin stream down the side of the mixing bowl. The heat from the syrup will melt the gelatin. If you start mixing with your paddle, you’ll need to stop and change to your whisk once the syrup has all been added.

Once all the syrup has been poured into the gelatin, begin increasing the speed of your mixer. The syrup will lighten as it incorporates more and more air.

If you plan to add any flavorings, this Is the time to do so. this batch is simply flavored with vanilla seeds, so we won’t be adding anything. But, you can use concentrated candy oils to flavor your marshmallows. About 1/3 of a tiny dram bottle is plenty.

Step by step, increase the mixer’s speed until you reach the top speed. Then, sit back and watch as the marshmallow fluff incorporates more and more air, eventually filling the bowl.

Once the level of your candy has reached the top of your mixing bowl and the whisk begins to leave trails in the fluff, you are ready to pour.

Stop the mixer and remove the whisk. Slowly pour the fluff into the lined pan, scraping as much as you can from the bowl. Some of your vanilla seeds will be hiding. Scrape them out as you go.

Spread the marshmallow mix evenly in the pan, and sprinkle the powdered sugar and corn starch over the surface of the mix. Tear off another piece of parchment paper and spray the paper with your cooking oil.

Then, lay the paper over the top of the candy surface. Now, just let the candy stand and ripen at least 6 hours or, ideally, overnight.

Once the marshmallows have set up, we’re ready to cut. With a colander in a large bowl, sprinkle some of the powdered sugar mix into the colander. Next, remove the loaf from the pan and peel away the paper.

Using a sharp knife, ideally one that reaches all the way across your loaf, cut straight down across the mass, about 1 ½ inches apart. This will give you strips of marshmallows. Stack & turn and cut again, forming cubes. As they are cut, toss the cubes into the powder and coat all sides.

Now, you have wonderful, fluffy, delicious marshmallows. One taste of these and you’ll never buy the ones in a bag again! Click image for larger version

Name:	Marshmallows Title.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	215840 Click image for larger version

Name:	Marshmallow Ingredients.png
Views:	101
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	215841 Click image for larger version

Name:	Marshmallow.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	215842
    Attached Files

Looooooooooove me some marshmallows. I like to put them in the freezer, firm them up a bit. Unless I am dry brining.

***This forum designates "brining" as a misspelled word.

Comment

Wow this is a great write up you did and gave me some great ideas to try. I have a valentines day dinner I will be making for a local winery with a prime rib done on the grill as the main item and going to play around with this to use as a dessert making some gourmet s'mores thank you for some wonderful thoughts today

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        please tell me how this comes out and share some pics!

Those look killer!!!

Comment

What flavor are those pink ones? Cinnamon, Strawberry, Cherry?

Comment

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          hot cinnamon with a box of red hots broken up in the food processor & mixed into the fluff at the end of the process

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome!!!

Fun project.

Comment

So I got the marshmallows made tonight and letting them set. My attempt at what I am trying for is a gourmet s'more. In a couple of weeks I am cooking a valentines day dinner for two couples at a winery (Prime rib on the grill) and I thought it would be a nice dessert (something different) so my idea is a strawberry marshmallow on a graham cracker covered with melted dark chocolate another graham cracker topped with fresh whipped cream and strawberries, hence a chocolate covered strawberry s'mores. I figured I would do a trial run now in case I need to do any changes

Comment

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            If you need a beta taster ...

Chocolate covered strawberry Click image for larger version

Name:	strawberry.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	266636 s'more

Comment

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            what did the diners think?

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            Karon Adams from what i was told the customers loved every bit of the dinner. Owner told me this morning that some said it was the best dinner they have served

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            terrific. I'm glad it went well! What a great way to use the MArshies.

"Next, put the water, corn syrup, water and salt into a saucepan"

I'm guessing one of those waters is actually the sugar? Just making sure. I love the idea of custom flavors even though I typically only use them in hot chocolate. I have to confess that I love stale marshmallows. Ones that have dried out some and are chewy. I know, I'm weird, LOL.
          Last edited by Abom; January 23, 2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            nothing wrong with that. I like Stale Marshmallows for baking. they are better when heated than fresh. the fresh have more moisture in them so they droop and flow faster. one that's stale can take the heat and that allows you to toast them and really enjoy the flavor of toasted. YUM!

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            no, they aren't. you need the water in the mixing bowl to soak and soften the gelatin. you also need it in the saucepan so you don't burn the sugar. You can make dry caramel but it takes a practiced hand and for the right project. water helps make your sugar syrup. it all boils off but you need it

been after the Y chromosome to bring me some Red Hots so I can make myself some Marshmallows. it took 2 weeks but they finally arrived. so, HE proclaims this AM that if I don't make my Marshies, he will start hiding my Red Hots in my other food! red hots in the burger, under the butter on the onion bagel... I reminded him that I knew where he keeps his coffee....

PS, Made Red Hot Marshmallows today. Might make some Butterscotch with Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup and dark brown sugar!!!

Comment

Ok, Karon, here's one for you and your Marshies! BF showed me a video of this earlier (he's a Reddit junkie), so I had to Google it. Blooming flowers for Hot Chocolate. Pics/Video if you do it!

Comment

• Karon Adams
              Karon Adams commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting. a neat little thing to do for parties. I DO love marshmallows in Hot Cocoa. also a nice touch for Latte if you're the coffee type(I'm not). they'd make very nice gifts, as well, you could put some together and give a box of them for holidays. Thanks for the link!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here