Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blueberry two bite pies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blueberry two bite pies.

Our family reunion is this Sunday and I'm making smoked and shredded chuckie sammies. I'll probably do a twice baked potato casserole too. And for desert I'm making these little pies. I've not done these before using fresh blueberries and I have a question:

A 9" pie takes 45 to 50 min to bake. The minis take about 20 min. I want to make sure the filling is jelled so that they don't run when people bite into them. So I'm thinking I should cook the blueberry filling on the stove top for around 30 min and then transfer to the prepared mini pie crusts. Does that sound like it should work.
    Another alternative would be to cook and then cool the filling before adding to the crusts. I'm not sure what would work best, and I know someone here can help.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/guide...thickener.html

Adding the right thickener might work for your purpose. My wife never thickens pie filling, but she also tends to keep it straight apple, peach and blackberry, so might not need anything other than some additional sugar to gel it. Cornstarch and ClearJel seem to be the preferred thickeners in a quick review of literature.

I would be very surprised if Karon Adams didn't have the answer. Feels like this is right up her alley.
    Last edited by Potkettleblack; July 14, 2016, 12:49 PM.

Comment

As I understand it the 2nd option may be the best. Blue berries are in season right now (or at least in great abundance at the store) So I got some BOGO free. looking to make simple syurp and maybe a pie or 2. All the stuff I looked up said if the filling isnt stiff enough just reheat it and let it simmer 5 min more and it will be more stable. I've not done it yet so dont know how true that is sorry.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I've continued to think about this and am leaning this way. I would watch the filling and put it in the pies just before it reaches the thickness I want.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here