Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sucrose vs Dextrose sweetness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sucrose vs Dextrose sweetness

Professors: May I rant? Thank you. I recently purchased some dextrose for use in sausage, as suggested by Ruhlman and Polcyn in their Charcuterie book. Regarding the relative sweetness of these sweeteners I find the same nonsense repeated over and over on the Web: namely, that Dextrose is about 70 to 80% as sweet as Sucrose. Fine. No unit reference is ever provided, but I assume it is by mass. (My own empirical taste test with 5% by mass sucrose vs dextrose solutions bore this out. I had to increase the dextrose concentration to a little over 7% to get the sample to taste equally sweet.)

These web sites go on to say that, to achieve equivalent sweetness, 1) you can substitute 1:1 by volume dextrose for sucrose; and 2) if measuring by weight, multiply sucrose weight by 0.7 to get the proper weight of Dextrose. This is nonsense.

I took my own measurements and 1/4 C of table sugar has a mass of 49g. The same volume of dextrose (mine is from Kitchen Alchemy) has a mass of 31g.

If you substitute dextrose for sucrose volume to volume you will end up with 63% by mass of dextrose versus the original sucrose. If the sweetness of dextrose is 70-80% that of sucrose, then your final product will have just 0.63 * 0.75 = less than half sucrose equivalent.

The same nonsense applies for weight adjustment. The received wisdom seems to be to multiply the mass of sucrose by 0.7. So a gram of sucrose * 0.7 = 700 mg, and that time the relative sweetness factor of about 75% leaves you with just 525mg sucrose equivalent.

Am I missing something? This advice seems to be patent nonsense.

**************** END OF RANT ********************
    Last edited by ApopkaDave; November 9, 2022, 11:03 AM.

Hi Dave, good to hear from you! I can't help with the above, but I will move this outta the Non-Food channel, since it is food talk.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here