Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truffle

Got my hands on some Italian truffle. I buy it every now and then, but haven't tried Italian truffle yet. This is the first fall/winter truffle. Any fans out there? This is 15 grams. It's like buying Saffron, you pay a lot for very little

The rice is there to absorb moisture. These are sensitive to mold, so I usually put on nitril gloves when handling them, to avoid transfering anything from my hands.

I use it as a flavor booster on meat. I use a micro planar (or other fine grater) and grate it on top of my steak right before eating. Good stuff.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5293.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	751425

Heat Henrik. I have never tasted a "real" truffle. How long will it keep?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep it in the freezer if I have more than I need. Put it in a small plastc bag with some rice, and you can keep it up to a year. Take it out, grate what you need, and back into the freezer.

Enjoy it as I know you will. We are big fans of this particular fungus.

Comment

Never had truffle so let us know what you think.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh I love it! That's why I keep buying it! There are many applications, but I mainly use it for two: grating on a nice dessert cheese, or on a good quality steak. It smells strong, but has a gentle flavor.

A fan yeah! A chunk of it like that, I wouldn’t know what to do with it. I’ve been using Italian Black Truffle Premium Gourmet salt on my eggs for about two months now. When I first opened it, it was like I was tasting eggs for the first time. Every time I open the pouch I stop & smell before I sprinkle, indescribable! Have used it on my steaks also. Because it is of table salt consistency I hold back a little on the initial salting of my steaks, then add the Black T Salt at serving. My wife couldn’t taste it, so I don’t use it on anything for her (she is still quite sick & I think that has a lot to do with it, not that I’m being mean).
      Very cool Henrik! I know it’s in good hands.

Comment

I had actual truffles twice before. One French black truffle, later an Italian White truffle. Talk about a gift from the Gods....

Comment

I absolutely love them. I have never personally bought them, I have only had them at restaurants. My Dad brought some truffle oil back for me, from Italy and it was fantastic. I also use truffle salt for steaks and it really amps up the flavor and richness.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool, I like the salt and the oil too. Great stuff.

Never have had the good fortune to taste a truffle of any species. I am sure it is amazing though. Maybe someday I will treat myself to that. I did not know that you could keep it in a freezer and get so many uses out of it.

Comment

I was in Italy for my honeymoon. I remember being amazed when ordering a dish with truffles and it came to the table completely covered in shaved truffles. It was incredible.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s the way to roll!

I've been using black truffle salt for a number of years. I am going to try on eggs as per Fireman. Never thought of that. I use on steaks, I do a dry brine with 1/2 the normal amount of Kosher Salt and then use the black truffle salt when they are finished cooking. I was once lucky enough to purchase a risotto that contained black truffle specks. I made it with some homemade chicken stock absolutely delicious. No where in my neck of the woods to purchase truffles the best we can do is order canned ones. I don't think the quality would be that high.

Comment

I like to go truffle hunting but it's been a while. Here are some pics from my first time out with my sister who showed me the ropes.

Here's the first one she found.

Name:	KN43ONM0qClQqtoNfF9jbfjF2UZc8PsGz8Z_PbT71iJhCfC5DT6ePSqmvPN8iMImcBKpP_W84Bport8iKJaCRCiBsx3Qqt08qCi8qkYCELHHJo2_7tWRo3eXgdZbPtkRRUoGNJ6wEqYvZXmE1DIt4azd8rQ_UyF24yOFtL66dvKunL7Lur3Nee-dM8IeK4HBZlBrW0ffbaovuvzPKc83ZSmD352Xsfbq98HSZcWs5BvboHFnhx-fe45iG8MGYVG
Views:	187
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	751666

Here's the whole haul from that day.

Name:	LgSRI26drozd7eA8y4U3CZpbyV_Le4PLmvwWjmr5WgDSn6Pk0lDyG2Pi2B5QdEEtVzlJ_ZhAeEMtGdefkLO_o15781JgQ0N08xBSTUJbnKFbwYNaRxU6KLttPW-QSgJROBi9Cte4SkixaMLtVdGlQqFQPL8TQ4VCbVjj1Azb_weZ62wqMC90tcrtqxXiO8fR1uL_0v5932QACGmOO0O9v152M-XLHbuKlFS1tD6rJR1CXdrUhXYcq6ESrITyuUO
Views:	194
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	751667

Here I'm making some truffle butter.

Name:	WQnxmYLwa3Sv3LLRqSXkWN8tbjlqwtPmE7a9lMvbZQfPVwQjwLOTSzKZ1rspOyLdeErg29klV1Ayu-lNng6ZvBZiYZBwqejQQl6mBR3V-G52tN-QH0-XCKqmC551LyyppUm87_ykfSmTB0_Z3hajI5A-saZ2C5SeHquUK-ZeejmuFfyhHr9CqukSfLTtFBOS4IJ2PMnqFpTKgCxAiJT224-5BlXQHE6F7f9HEuppC6lDt6umcrVIDrTY3_qQJhT
Views:	205
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	751668

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Great find! Truffle butter tastes great! I haven’t made it in a while, think I’ll do it tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                IowaGirl Looks like you're in luck. http://www.nimeca.com/aspx/News.aspx?NewsID=595

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                I think it's a hoot that the article about truffles in Iowa has to explain the difference between truffles the candy and truffles the fungus. Funny! But probably a good idea, considering I've NEVER heard anyone talk about hunting for truffles 'round here. Thank you for the link to the article!

My buddy owns a hard cider company and he rented a space in a warehouse that also housed a mushroom operation.

Name:	03hYEhrdLy5F6Kek4Rww0IUENFNRJpcJEsKKKKRXf7Av1pV38srom2BBxDVBGIgrHfUUAq1-Ska2GQpXodRpKUpmt-ZZf60-RwbcLq88eh1uFDIdVchoScpUTw9IZT6OKpu6FVCrADUfe0subm9jkQXcTd5CRtK8XIH-B6Plob0S6thUp1syTi-LletO_ix0N5ZwjNfiCr0qvg6SFL2PBafovRQBC_52gb8yJ_JQS2OJwmAnUXBbThuw8djS9mE
Views:	189
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	751672

Check out the truffles they had in the cold room.

Name:	SPl2odWR0Dz9gHw2FKBod2lmYqjkhDQ3ViJ18hBfiUfw2f3zicrWhGQNp_6PTQ1l5P2MgXfRpfIuGCKM3tEoUXfXescb0ZyJV9OwXyhlGPPHFWoGGRAtJ0xLOoRL8FWDj4mczuJKv8G5Sb2d-sy0JW5HuRJ7PpjX_QXM_KXapOQpgCVAD5m3s81Jx590NKCLjv_weU4JuBJmg-ZPQjuMhtV3sPDeoEjQlswB-zZRX7aKOV5cwp8ov3qCQpiqkZX
Views:	204
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	751673

Name:	JZkp5XDsgPp_zWc3HVqMPxqyW4HDPfeqVIaOdce7QBJj4l2EMVxE-XpC2XWMrHkwcovYduzUf7E0i1TbPUmQzG2fylOPohyhXKSZlhaKy_8fwmiBitbvYsKSwKA1_hDghASTGHleUOw3Q5c7pzpWRPZFwVIB2s4ptNkDX__z4w6EHQ9t3z61AFIeGUzIFJKv8BhOIwiRBmuQCYhj0hy_hvwVnPp0megWHHgVRPZ3lYOLgg9cP4vqNgwBlxWsBjI
Views:	190
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	751674

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Black gold nuggets right there.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                There was a lot of money in truffles sitting that box.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow!

"It's like buying Saffron, you pay a lot for very little"

When I was working as a chef I used to keep my truffles in a small locked wooden box...attached by a bike cable to a dunnage rack in my office. LOL

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I couldn't believe they left their truffles do easily accessible.

Hmm. I know how popular truffle is right now,but it is a flavour I really don’t care for, and will not order a dish on a menu if it includes truffle. Can’t seem to get past that. Glad you guys enjoy it.

Comment

So, right now Nicholas Cage is filming a movie about truffles 2 blocks from my house.

Name:	20191010_212515.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	754398

Name:	IMG_1463.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	754399

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here