Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Ketchup & Mustard Brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Murdy on this. Heinz catsup fer shure, but mustard by type, not brand. My everyday mustard is a homemade one--kind of a brown style.. Recipe provided by Marauderer , a Pit member we don't see around much anymore.

Here's Marauderer 's recipe:

Everyone has their favorite. This one is a bit spicy but can me modified for more sweet or other tastes you are looking for. If you have a favorite please

I usually use 50/50 brown/yellow mustard seed when I make it. 100% brown yields a really strong mustard.
    Last edited by Willy; August 15, 2019, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you translate the amounts? They're garbled on the posting, possibly because he copied and pasted from a word processing program.
      ½ cp mustard seeds (different seeds, different flavors)
      ¾ cp cider vinegar (I use Braggs)
      1 ¼ tsp sugar
      1 ½ tsp salt

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      Never mind, I see it was clarified further down the thread. Thanks!

I prefer Hunt's to Heinz for ketchup, but both are good.

French's is my preferred yellow mustard but I've never had an off-brand yellow mustard that I found off-putting. Can't say the same for ketchup.

'Three tomatoes are walking down the street. Mama tomato, Papa tomato and Baby tomato. Baby tomato starts lagging behind and Papa tomato gets really angry. He walks back to Baby tomato, squishes him and says: "Ketchup!"'

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man, was that bad.

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers that joke was in "Pulp Fiction".

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      And I thought it was bad then too. But the movie was great.

Heinz ketchup and Guldens spicy brown mustard for day to day mustard. We like to try different brands and kinds.

Comment

i voted only ketchup matters brand wise because i like heinz. Mustard im less concerned with brand but i only use spicy whole grain mustard...none of that yellow squeezy stuff

Comment

gcdmd : Weird?! I actually cut and pasted this into a Word doc years ago. It copied just fine then. It appears to have "aged poorly" in the OP. LOL FWIW, I added the "&" to the salt and sugar measurements.

Mustard

This makes about 1.5--2 cups
        It only takes about 10 min but you have to let the mustard seeds soak for two days.

½ cup mustard seeds--50/50 yellow and brown is good
        ¾ cup cider vinegar
        1/3 cup water
        1 & ¼ tsp sugar
        1 & ½ tsp salt
        You can add a teaspoon or so of turmeric for yellow color if you like.

Soak mustard seeds in the vinegar and water for two days at room temp. (if seeds are not submerged add a bit of water until they are)
        Puree mixture with the sugar and salt and (and optional turmeric) in a blender, until almost smooth, about 2 min.
        Thin to desired consistency with additional water and season with salt to taste.
        Chilled the mustard will last at least a month.

Note: You will need to add additional water when you blend this. I've never tried thinning with vinegar, but I should do that some day.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. That is a big help.

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

All yellow mustard is the same.
        Ketchup is Heinz.

​​​​​​

Comment

If I'm using ketchup it's probably being used as an ingredient rather then a condiment. There are so many types of mustard and fewer types of ketchup. That's why mustard matters and ketchup doesn't.

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point. The only things I put ketchup on as a condiment are burgers and sometimes on fries. That's it. I put mustard on all sorts of things. When I was a kid I used to like to take an end slice of a loaf of bread, squirt mustard on it and eat it with nothing else on it as a snack.

Mustard is the best and most varied condiment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Types-of-Mustard.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	730426

Name:	Types-of-Prepared-Mustards.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	730427

Name:	mustard_mainphoto.jpg?resize=700%2C%20466&ssl=1.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	730428

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, I should've mentioned though when I say mustard I mean the plain yellow

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            And to that, I say why would anyone use plain yellow mustard?

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I love mustard, but he is talking about smooth yellow.

Ketchup is really only an ingredient in BBQ sauce for me these days; that said I like to use Portland Ketchup Sauce due to the low sugar in it (I never really liked how sweet ketchup was). It also happens to be local so it ups my hipster street cred

Mustard, on the other hand, is something I am picky about. No French's mustard unless making a sauce, it's gotta be Dijon, or Beaver or something interesting.
          Last edited by Loren; August 15, 2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Only the two year old likes ketchup, so brand doesn't matter to him. Some types of mustard, especially regular yellow, brand doesn't matter either. But some favorites have to include Guilden's Spicy Brown and Grey Poupon.

Comment

I'm a Heinz ketchup guy, though not so much anymore. Hunts always seemed a bit too sweet for me.

In mustard, I've got opinions. In the prepared realm, I'm a French's or Heinz yellow mustard, Grey Poupon brown (I'm not a fan of the rest though Guilden's is okay. I mostly prefer whipping up my own mustard from Colman's powder...great flavor, and better than any prepared yellow on the market in my opinion. It only takes a couple of minutes, and if you use some vermouth, so much the better.

Comment

My wife picks. She gets the store brand for both. I'm not a real fan of yellow mustard. Deli is my go to and if is isn't Nathan's not going on my dog.

Comment

used as an ingredient for me, and a way to get the kids to eat stuff they don't like (which isn't much).

Comment

I use Walmart ketchup which I test taste to Heinz and there yellow mustard which is just fine.

Comment

• Willy
                      Willy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Their!

I realize the poll is based on yellow mustard, but this is my absolute favorite mustard.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here