Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I bought a $40 bottle of soy sauce…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I bought a $40 bottle of soy sauce…

… so what do I use it for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	5730DF9C-22C3-4B26-BF9E-9538E00FDD9E.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1335145

It is delicious it has an incredible depth of flavor. It makes my mouth water just smelling it.

I’m sure it will be incredible with some tuna, salmon or yellowtail sushi / sashimi. I wouldn’t know what to buy to prepare this at home. Would it be tacky for me to take this to a sushi restaurant next time we go to one?

So what are some of your favorite things to apply soy sauce to?

I'd think of that like a finishing condiment - I'd never cook with it but yeah, on poké, etc. it would rock. Drizzled lightly over grilled veggies, etc too. Maybe look for a good Japanese cooking site for ideas too?

Comment

That's funny on the years aged, mine double that by the time I use it all up.

Comment

I have friends that bring their own chopsticks, soy, and wasbi to sushi places, not much different than a person bringing their own hot sauce or steak sauce to a place. Now if you're going to a high dollar place, then I'd say you are dumb. You go to a high dollar place for what they make as they make it. But a common chain or small town place? Do as you please.

Like rickgregory said the only thing I wouldn't do is cook with it. Why waste it

Comment

Ok, ya buy somethin real expensive & now ya want to know what to do with it. Well, I think you need to find out fer yerself rather than be told what to do. Agree, it is not for cookin. Other than that, I’ll never tell. Now if you asked first that would have been differnt all together.

Comment

• TripleB
            TripleB commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow. Poster asks for some insight on a cooking board and you tell him to pound sand. Nice.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Tounge in cheek my man. Tis a great bottle of sauce & it should be used for various drippings. He said as much with his smelling comment. No ill intention, if so, my apologies.

Thanks for the idea ssandy_561, I think I'm going to order some of that for my son. Some may think it's a weird Christmas gift, but that boy eats soy sauce on so many things, it's crazy. I'd like to try some to see what it's like.

Comment

• Draznnl
            Draznnl commented
            Editing a comment
            When you say it like that, RonB you make DFPS sound like a neighborhood dope dealer.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Indulging your kids is a parent's prerogative. Nice idea for a gift for your son!

Kathryn

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            Hell, he's leaving for college soon, it'll be his student loan money he spends. I can tell you, I won't be buying this expensive stuff on the regular. If he wants to spend his own money on it, whatever. I've given up on the financial lessons, he doesn't listen to me anyways.

Make yakitori and use the sauce for your tare. That is a sauce that can live in the fridge and develop as you use it again and again.

Comment

A couple of Japanese recipe sources for that great soy sauce.
            Welcome to Happy Donabe Life by TOIRO. We offer a wide variety of recipes using different types of donabe and other recipes of Japanese home-style dishes by Naoko Takei Moore (a.k.a. Mrs. Donabe). There are useful tips and blog posts by Naoko and team TOIRO, too. This site is all about donabe cookin

Just One Cookbook is a Japanese food blog with 1000+ authentic home-style recipes. Learn the cuisine with easy step-by-step photo instructions and videos.

Comment

I've heard Japanese soy sauces are on the sweeter side compared to what most of us are used to. Is that true of this one?

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Fer a general rule, less salty.

• ssandy_561
                ssandy_561 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I did a side by side taste of it with Kikkoman and it did seem less salty but I don’t know about sweeter. I’ll call it less harsh / smoother.

• mgaretz
                mgaretz commented
                Editing a comment
                Kikkoman *is* a Japanese soy sauce.

Great, but $40? It really, really must be good.

Comment

• ssandy_561
                ssandy_561 commented
                Editing a comment
                Is it 10x better than Kikkoman, no. It’s it the best soy sauce I’ve ever tasted, yes. Would I ever buy it again, not sure, I still need to try it on other things. Some people buy $400 bottles of Bourbon, I buy $40 bottles of soy sauce. 😀

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Whats wrong with my affinity for bourbon and cigars?

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter bourbon is good. So ditto on the bourbon.

In addition to drizzling on finished dishes, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised (and still have it last a while) if you use as an ingredient in sauces that call for say 1tsp-1tbsp of soy sauce.

Not in your marinade that gets thrown away after the meat comes out...but for example I like to make a maple-mustard glaze for duck that includes a little soy sauce.. Or add a little to cole slaw dressing.. Or in Michel Richard's tuna burger recipe.. Or sauteed mushrooms.. Have experimented with high-end soy sauce in these and I think you can taste the difference - it ends up being like a secret ingredient where everyone likes the result but can't figure out quite why..

Comment

Here, here ssandy_561 , once you have tried a high quality soy sauce it leads you to others. A great experience. Nice comparison to the $400 bottle of bourbon.

Comment

I'm not good at buying Christmas presents for people, but this conversation about premium soy sauces led me to buy three spendy soy sauces for hubby and I to try out this year. I got these --

Fancy ($42 US): https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0036TFX...roduct_details
                  Double brewed "standard" ($24 US): https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08VGBWQ...roduct_details
                  Cold smoked ($27 US): https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B018WJL8...roduct_details

We have been tasting each one along with Kikkoman, both alone and in food. While the 3 premium products might seem less salty on the tongue than "K", they're still plenty salty. I think the depth of flavor in these premium soy sauces offsets the salt flavor.

"K" has a thinner feel on the tongue and has a limited flavor profile. I'm not an expert taster, so I can't analyze a flavor to describe all its nuances. The best way I can explain it, "K" tastes mainly of salt plus a one-dimensional "brown" umami taste.

The fancy one is very slightly sweet with a complicated umami flavor.

If "K" is the PBR of the soy sauce world, the fancy soy sauce is a well made dark beer. I could see it drizzled on delicately flavored foods or used as a dip for sushi.

The cold smoked soy sauce has a pleasant smoke flavor -- the smoke is not overpowering nor is it bitter. It begs to be brushed on grilled foods like shrimp, fish, or chicken as a finishing sauce or used as a flavoring in a glaze on ribs.

The double-brewed standard sauce does not have as complex a flavor as the fancy one, but the flavor is much richer and more interesting than "K". While still quite a bit more money than "K", this one would be my choice as a tasty soy sauce for everyday folks.

Comment

Interesting. I just made something using soy sauce, and the bottle I have has been in the refrigerator for years… many years. More than 5, but I don’t think 10. It’s K. It still tastes like what I thought it was supposed to, so there’s that.

As much as I believe in the premium version of almost everything, this is one I’m going to skip. I know I’ll love it, but never use it.

Comment

My wife is dismayed by the number of bottles of soy sauce I have - light soy, dark soy, soy paste, etc. She thinks I'm nuts for it.

Comment

• acorgihouse
                        acorgihouse commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I do too, the benefits of having a large Asian market nearby. I can also get fresh (like still swimming) fish, and all kinds of condiments. I have several kinds of soy sauce, and probably even more fish sauce. I like soy sauce on wings, I toss them and then let them sit a while in a mix of soy sauce, garlic salt, ginger powder, and sesame oil. Then put in the air fryer.

• smokenoob
                        smokenoob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Your wife is right……(remember that!)

• hoovarmin
                        hoovarmin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        smokenoob pinpoint accurate

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here