Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Hot Sauce Brand by State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just adding that it made me chuckle that Louisiana hot sauce is popular in the adjacent states (sans Texas) but not Louisiana itself.
    Cant say Frank’s is a regular in my house but after seeing all the Valentina nods I’m tempted to pick up a bottle. Is it your typical vinegar based sauce?

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm in Arkansas and while it's not the only bottle in the frig, Louisiana is the largest!

This has to be an advertisement for Burman’s. No one’s ever heard of it.

Comment

• North Carolina Mike
      North Carolina Mike commented
      Editing a comment
      Burman's is a brand we see at Aldi grocery stores. Never tried the hot sauce but we do buy the yellow mustard

I used to use Cholula a lot but have recently switched to Tapatio for Mexican-style dishes. While Cholula is more complex, Tapatio has a bit more heat. I have not tried Valentina.

I have Tabasco and Crystal hot sauces and tend to use those for any recipe calling for hot sauce that isn't Mexican.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to try Valentina black label.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Valentina is good stuff, just not my go to

Valentina, Crystal, rooster, and Texas Pete pepper vinegar are the staples for me here in NJ. Those can cover a lot of different styles of cooking pretty well.
    Last edited by gboss; October 18, 2021, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Taken with a grain of salt. A sampling of people willing to pay Insta Cart delivery and service fees for groceries might not be a true sampling of the preferences of the entire population of a state.

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely the sampling was using the data they had access to, which is not general or random enough.

Maryland should be:
      Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Even here can’t readily find it in the stores.

• Sdell
        Sdell commented
        Editing a comment
        Old Bay Hot sauce rocks. However Frank's is our every day hot sauce probably because that is what we can buy in bulk at Costco.

• Beefchop
        Beefchop commented
        Editing a comment
        Marylanders and their Old Bay...lol.

I love Tapatio and Cholula, odd they are my favorites AND also favorites in the states I spent the majority of my life in. Yet neither was a table staple when I was growing up.

As a kid it was tabasco only... which was a substitute in our house for soap when lying or cursing... took a few weeks living off MREs to adjust my internal thoughts on the stuff, but I like it now.

Comment

I am definitely a Franks fan, also really like Cholula.

Comment

I used to like franks and Tabasco. Now I’m down to volcanic peppers Aleppo and secret aardvark as the staples.

Comment

Frank's Red Hot, Texas Pete, and Cholula are my favorites. I'm out of Frank's right now though and need to pick some more up.

Comment

My favorite is Cholula. But my son teases me every time he sees me using it. He calls it "Mexican ketchup".
              Franks is my #2. Same reaction from son. 🤷‍♂️🙄

Comment

I’ve tried a ton of different hot sauces over past couple years. I’ve come back to the same few others mentioned. I keep Tabasco Chipotle, Frank’s, Cholula, and Valentina’s black label. Still have probably 6-8 others in the fridge that haven’t been touched in months. Thinking about trying a batch of controlled burn, but have fears as a contact wearer of making my own. One hot sauce does not fit all things.

Comment

Coworker turned me on to Valentina. He would put it on everything including popcorn so I tied it on popcorn too strictly out of curiosity. now it’s a staple that I put on my eggs daily. I don’t like the other sauces mentioned on the map. I use Franks buffalo sauce but not their hot sauce.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hmm. I use Franks all the time to MAKE buffalo sauce, but having tried a couple of bottles of their pre-made buffalo sauce, its just not quite there. It's hard to have shelf stable artificial butter flavoring be the same as a sauce that is half butter, half Frank's.

• radiodome21
                    radiodome21 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Funny thing, I never realized that buffalo sauce had butter in it until this summer. The old BBQ restaurant I worked at would toss the wings in a silver bowl, add buffalo sauce from a bottle and then mix it up with some homemade BBQ sauce. It was very good. I try to avoid adding butter when I can, but I have added it to Franks when I hosted a family party this summer. Went over well enough. I just find Franks hot sauce too hot for my liking.

I am surprised at how many of you mention keeping your Frank's, Texas Pete or whatever in the fridge. Pretty much all of the vinegar based pepper sauces are shelf stable and require no refrigeration. I'm happy to have a few less bottles taking up space in the fridge myself, plus I don't like cold hot sauce on my taco/burger/whatever.

I used to use Texas Pete by the gallon jug, but in the past decade or so have only bought Frank's for making buffalo wing sauce. Sadly they quite selling gallon jugs of it at my local Sam's Club. I also keep Tabasco on hand, mostly for recipes these days. Growing up Tabasco was ALL we had, or the old Lousiana Red Dot stuff. I've had or have all but the Berman's in the pantry at some point, but right now, my goto's are Frank's, Valentina, Tabasco, Tabasco brand Sriracha, and for some reason lately I've been dousing a lot of stuff with that green colored El Yucateco Habanero sauce.

Don't forget Gochujang! I always keep that on hand for when I get a Korean BBQ craving.
                  Last edited by jfmorris; October 20, 2021, 01:20 PM.

Comment

on that list, I have only had Tabasco, I would say in our area more people talk about Siracha, which other then Siracha and Tabasco, I have only tried a few sauces that friends have made.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here