Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bag Of Skinless Boneless Breasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And???

Kathryn

Comment

SV pic.

It was originally in two ziplocks but I made it three, which I think will make it come up to temp faster. Judging from the time it took to thaw.

On a related note, when vac packing meat, I have figured out that if I pack a thinner even layer, it will thaw more readily. As compared to just glumping it all down in the bottom of the bag.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zzdocxx; August 23, 2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PuraLeña View Post
      Why not wrap them in bacon. And finish with a glaze.
      BTW I do want to hear all about the ham in Spain, it was one of the highlights of my stay in Madrid !

Comment

Eeks, I think I overcooked them in the SV at 141, they are practically falling apart when I pick them up with tongs. Also could be too long marinating? But I think the cooking mostly.

Anyway, put a layer of that basting sauce on them and then on the smoker grill. I'll give them 25min or so of smoke then up the temp. Hoping I can get the outside layer to firm up a bit, maybe if I can dry it out ? ? Ie. what I have been trying to avoid.

Doh !

The basting sauce did give them a lovely orangey color.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by zzdocxx; August 23, 2020, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200823_191752.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	900860Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200823_191752.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	900864Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200823_191755.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	900861 Smoked for ~30min, then seared with torch and flipped them over, seared the other side.

Going to cook them at 350F for just a little bit, still trying to dry them out just a little more. They want to fall apart when I try to turn them over, I used a spatula along with the tongs.

Attached Files
          Last edited by zzdocxx; August 23, 2020, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotta love torch induced Maillard.

Epilogue:

After ~30min smoke and then searing with el torcho, the inside of mine was --wait for it-- a little dry. I took one of the thicker pieces.

Seriously, handling this stuff on the grill was like trying to pick up a piece of fish in terms of wanting to fall apart.

Mom's caretaker said it was delicious. She is a good cook and I gave her a smaller piece. She is also very charitable.

I had set aside a good portion of the Inasal marinade and used that on the chicken I was eating. It is quite flavorful, I might even say intensely so.

We rice and green salad with our chix.

Verdict: Room for improvement. I would like the chicken to be moist inside. Next time I think I'll just try it at 350F, no SV.

Thanks for listening ! ! !

Last edited by zzdocxx; August 23, 2020, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all of the cook details, zzdocxx . I really enjoy following along with your cooks. A lot of people marinate chicken overnight, but I try to stick to 4 hours if it's a marinade with high acid, since marinade ingredients, except for salt, don't really penetrate and the acid in some marinades can start to cook the chicken. Mostly I marinate overnight for convenience if it's a low-acid marinade.

I never SV chicken with anything else in the bag, using 158° for 1.5 to 2 hours so it just needs a bit of sear to look pretty and be safe to eat. Next comes the oil, the rub, and the searing afterwards (perhaps brushing with a sauce at the very end, nudging the chicken over towards the cooler side of the grill for a minute or two while the sauce sets) for the flavor. Some folks use marinades in the SV bag, but others say it just dilutes the chicken flavor. Me, I just go for easy with having more control over what actually flavors the chicken.

I'm loving that torch action. It's a real "git 'er done" approach to grilling. Plus it's fun.
            And thanks too for all the photos.

Kathryn

Comment

Made up a new batch of marinade, put the chicken in earlier and will grill 'em later today.

I think I will go straight to 350F and hope for the best. I'll put some rub or some of their achiote oil mixture on them possibly.

Seriously though, I kind of miss having just a regular old charcoal grill. I really like the Weber with an added shield eg SNS for indirect heat. I do have a Smokey Joe, it is pretty small though.

Thing is I have to say the pellet grill is perfect for tri-tip.
              Last edited by zzdocxx; August 27, 2020, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Update: Cooked the remaining 6 BS breasts, ~6 hours marinade in Inasal, then it occurred to me that perhaps I ought to give them a dusting with something. And some salt.

So I put them in a big bowl and threw in some Diamond Kosher salt. I was pretty liberal with it. My dear mom who is 95 was sitting there watching me and she said you know sometimes when you are cooking it is a good idea to measure the ingredients so that you don't put in too much. Pretty sure she was trying to give me a hint.

Then I figured why don't I also hit it with some ground pepper and she said the same thing again.

Then I remembered that with my $700 Traeger grill purchase, I was given a small bottle of orange colored chicken rub, which is pretty salty. So I used it sparingly.

I made up the basting sauce with spices (paprika, cumin etc.), tablespoon of vinegar, but instead of butter I used some olive oil You are supposed to use achiote or anatto oil but I didn't have either so I used an achiote subsitute recipe. This stuff actually imparts a lovely orange color to the chix.

I smoked at 165 for 15 minutes, then turned it up to 350. When the temps got over 150, to the 155+ range, I took them off, since they had been holding around 155 for 10-15min.

To my surprise, they were pretty moist.

But guess what, a couple of the pieces were a little salty, oops ! ! !

Pics
                #1 Inasal marinade
                #2 Filipino spiced vinegar, found it in a local Filipino grocery store. Some recipes said to use the Samanik for dipping the chix while eating.
                #3 Last two cooking, forgot to take pic of full grill.
                #4 Cooked chix
                #5 Sliced cooked chix
                #6 More cooked chix

Bonus riddles:

Q: What do you call a deer with no eyes ?
                A: No idear.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Q: What do you call a deer with no eyes and no legs?
                A: Still no idear.

PS no torchy this time, just the Treager at 350F.

Attached Files
                Last edited by zzdocxx; August 28, 2020, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd say you did that chicken proud. Juicy chicken breasts with a pop of flavor are a great centerpiece to a meal. Nicely done.

Kathryn

• zzdocxx
                  zzdocxx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was left with one piece for myself and I had a little this morning. It was moist and not too salty. Funny how often stuff tastes better the next day.

I opened the bottle of Sinimak and had the chix with a little of that, it is pretty tasty. Just as it says, spiced vinegar.

Here is what's in it:
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm going to look for that vinegar the next time I go to the ethnic grocery (Asian and Middle Eastern produce and products). Thanks for the recommendation.

K.

Comment

• zzdocxx
                    zzdocxx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Sinimak I bought is just the teeeeeensiest bit spicy, FYI.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I really like spicy, zzdocxx , the spicier the better. I draw the line at ghost pepper spicy, though.

K.

Ever tried whole deboned chicken? WHole chicken Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1488646363037.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	905449 without wingtips deboned from inside.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here