Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked turkey questions - stock and skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked turkey questions - stock and skin

Hi all,

This week, I began my ritual reading of Meathead's Smoked Turkey manifesto and first wanted to say that in this season of giving thanks, I am super grateful that I found amazingribs.com. Even though I think I could probably recite the turkey recipe word for word at this point, I was looking for some thoughts/input on these two points:

1) When I make stock from chicken or beef bones, I always roast the bones first. Last year, I thought I would try to roast the turkey spine pieces before putting the gravy pan under the turkey and the results were great! I've also taken to starting the gravy on the stovetop like I was making regular stock and get it simmering/cooking down for a few hours before putting it under the bird on my cooker. I found that if I started the stock under the spatchcocked turkey, the turkey was finished way before the gravy was at peak flavor. Has anyone had success with this method or other ideas to get a stronger gravy stock in a shorter cooking time?

2) Turkey skin. I love it, my family loves it, but for the past few years, I've gotten the right color, I've gotten the right crispness, I've even gotten the right amount of flavor, but never all together. The turkey is straight from a local farm, so I dry brine in advance, wet S&G rub goes on top and under the skin, sprinkle some salt on just before cooking, but it is a crap shoot whether it comes out right or not. The times that it was not crispy might be due to cooking temp a little below 325, maybe I need more salt on the skin to bring out the other flavors, but any suggestions are welcome if someone has struggled with this and found a solution.

Thanks a bunch, and Happy Thanksgiving!

I make my gravy ahead of time (1 or 2 days) then add some of the drippings after the turkey is cooked. Works great for me.

Comment

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I do too. It's a great time/stress reliever, especially for a family dinner.

• Irishpete33
      Irishpete33 commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds great, stock is reducing as we speak! Less to do tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

What is the wetting agent you are using with the Sand G? Water might keep the skin from crisping while oil might help it crisp.

Comment

• Irishpete33
      Irishpete33 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use water because I think I read that somewhere on the recipe for S&G, but using oil makes more sense for crisping the skin - thanks!

try adding a small amount of baking powder to your dry brine or rub to crisp the skin. I roast the bones first and start indoors too.

Comment

I start inside with a mirepoix and the neck and gabling's. I brown these and make a gravy with them. I keep a drip pan under my smoked turkey and catch all the drippings from the bird, keep some water in the pan so they don't burn. After cooking the bird take and combine the drippings with the already made gravy. How much you add is up to you as the smoky drippings can over power the gravy. Then add a flour slurry to increase the final thickness.

I never use the skin, but don't throw away the bones. They make a wonderful stock after you get all the meat off them.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; November 25, 2019, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Irishpete33
        Irishpete33 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the idea to keep the gravy/stock and the drippings separate until the end and then mix together for the final product. I'll also keep the carcass for a round of stock after the meat is off - that way I'll have even more gravy for Saturday's turkey pot pies.

Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
      try adding a small amount of baking powder to your dry brine or rub to crisp the skin. I roast the bones first and start indoors too.
      This has worked well for me. Doesn't play with the favor but does improve the skin.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here