Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rosemary’s Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rosemary’s Turkey

I’m planning my thanksgiving cook and I wondered about something. Anyone ever put fresh herbs in their firebox, not directly in the fire, to smolder and add to the wood smoke?

I have not. I know Steve Raichlen finishes things on beds of aromatics but that is for big slices that are being grilled. I do sometimes fill the smoking bird cavity with fresh spices - including thyme and rosemary as well as oranges, lemons and garlic.

Comment

Looks like Richard Chrz has tried it, take a look at post #277.10 in this thread. It's something I'd like to try if I could afford the herbs.
      https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ge19?pp=714105
      Last edited by Chuck in Charlotte; November 11, 2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I guess we're not talking about some demonic movie here..... ;-)

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          that depends on the spices

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          that was a dream, right?

I've found that changing more than one or two variables at the kettle makes the cook lose its identity, without knowing why or what to do differently. I've even thought that going to exclusively pairing a single type wood to each cooker gives me a reason to buy one or two more identical kettles. Line 'em up - this one's Oak, this is Hickory, this is Mesquite. The offset is for variety - which for me these days is just chunks of pecan or comp mixes of pellets in a tube. I know it's OCD, but don't we all have to have a bit of OCD to be here?

That said, maybe a way to try this out is with a clean briquette burn and stuffing a smoking tube with the herbs and spices you have in mind. So know that you've inspired me to try something new. I'll write it up if I think it works, and others can test and verify the results. Maybe the tubes are not just for pellets.

Comment

• SavageSmoke
          SavageSmoke commented
          Editing a comment
          "Location: the LOU" btw, go Cards.

Originally posted by JGo37 View Post
        I've found that changing more than one or two variables at the kettle makes the cook lose its identity, without knowing why or what to do differently. I've even thought that going to exclusively pairing a single type wood to each cooker gives me a reason to buy one or two more identical kettles. Line 'em up - this one's Oak, this is Hickory, this is Mesquite. The offset is for variety - which for me these days is just chunks of pecan or comp mixes of pellets in a tube. I know it's OCD, but don't we all have to have a bit of OCD to be here?

That said, maybe a way to try this out is with a clean briquette burn and stuffing a smoking tube with the herbs and spices you have in mind. So know that you've inspired me to try something new. I'll write it up if I think it works, and others can test and verify the results. Maybe the tubes are not just for pellets.
        I think the tube is a great idea. I have one already. I’m gonna try it. I wonder if I put the tube in the cook chamber and let them slowly heat rather than in the firebox, if that would help them impart more flavor without just burning up immediately.

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          SavageSmoke I'm going to try a few things, but first will be soaking whole herbs before putting them in the tube and then letting them dehydrate to infuse the grill, by indirect convection. I'm thinking prolonged exposure to the essence of the herbal mix would have more affect than a shorter smoldering. And infusion should have more affect than in a rub - that's how Drew Estate makes infused cigars - proximity.

Here check out this technique, it may be something you want to consider. Only problem is the herbs may end up costing more than the bird !!!

I watched Mark Lambert and Malcom Reed last night do up an herb chicken. Dang had to take a break from painting and give this one a go! Gawsh the smell is INCREDIBLE. One small chunk

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here