Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked up some duck fat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up some duck fat

Seemed like a good deal at $2 a jar (I might go back for more). I'm thinking I might have to do smash burger and duck fat french fries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hjhi4cXBzM16nwtiw-osorjfjnjjGbnfqzK23P234EVGQQrZwg1PPw0FcrZFg0L5897lIqqnebJU4lZKHGMGHMl-eNQJYh6ppOgt31E55Bn57tIgNszVOKmih2HWH45h-wlsbKUwWyewSvyxpEs6BDCL_t2BT9KI14LlZ_8ew3HD1dpAQWnzxNPS1j0rcQb7FpgByxYG4LoAS6PqU3lUUzLcgcQLtMP1H4zXdy4vxeph9WfbKC0uCUL5J_pVXJb
Views:	307
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	648743

Two bucks a jar?!?!? That's an insanely low price. Color me skeptical at the moment and please do let us know how it works out. You may have found the steal of the century...or food poisoning.
    Last edited by Willy; March 11, 2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Skeptical if what? I'll post some pics of some cooks with it fir sure.

Paris style roast chicken and potatoes!

Comment

Whoa. List price is $10.99/jar.

Pommes de terre salardaise.

Comment

il est tombé du camion. My attempt at "It fell off of the truck."

Comment

I really hate to be a nay-sayer, but some further checking revealed these facts:

WalMart sells this for $20 a jar. In fact the price varies all over the map: https://www.amazon.com/Epic-Animal-F...ews-filter-bar

A couple of years ago, this stuff was recalled. Check out the one, two, and three star reviews: https://www.amazon.com/Epic-Animal-F...ustomerReviews Note that some of the four and five star reviews were by people who didn't actually use the product.

I don't think you can buy canola or soy oil for $2 per 11 ounces when packaged in that small of a container.

Be careful, @Attjack.

Note: I could be wrong, but I'm nervous here.

Comment

Well if it's for real you could do duck confit.

Comment

It does appear there was recall several years ago but this is from 2019. I buy other epic products too. The issue was with their jars. https://epicprovisions.com/blogs/lan...d-cooking-oils

https://epicprovisions.com/products/duck-far-animal-oil-single-jar

Last edited by Attjack; March 11, 2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Duck fat is the best. If you’re into SV, you might want to try duck confit (or faux duck confit using chicken thighs (and is every bit as good)). Here’s a link to a couple of posts that I made a while back (see posts #2 and #3):

Comment

@Attjack--The issue really isn't with what happened in the past (I agree a two year old recall is not valid now)--though I do see a relevance--it's with the fact that duck fat is being sold far below normal market prices. Why can you buy it at $2 a jar when others sell it for $8, $11, or $20?Why the price variance??? I have no interest, or desire, to play the spoiler here. I'm trying to be helpful and cautious. When I saw eleven ounces of duck fat for $2--alarm bells went off. It's similar to finding Beluga caviar for $5--$10 an ounce or genuine Kobe beef for $10 a pound--unreal.

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's a Grocery Outlet store that buys big lots of product and sells them for lower margins. It's why I shop there. They were carrying Epic brand venison jerky for quite some time at prices similarily lower than anywhere else I could find it. The store is full of deals like this and those products come and go. The stuff they stock on the regular (say milk or eggs)is more in line with prices at other stores.

It could be that Epic lost market share after the recall. I noticed several other specialty stores carried it but out of stock. Maybe they’re just getting rid of inventory that won’t sell. I say as long as it doesn’t appear to be or smell rancid then make a batch of duck confit and enjoy !!!

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Let's not over think it. I post good deals on the forum every month. It's just a good deal. It won't last long so I snatched some up.

Maybe there is a duck liposuction clinic near by. Hopefully, its fat from a duck! Try it and report back, after you get off the turlet. 😏

Comment

Rendered duck fat is one of the best fats you can cook with. Learn how to use duck fat with tips from the experts in cuisine and fine foods at D'Artagnan.

scroll down to #10...duck fat mayo. Sold!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here