Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sous vide duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sous vide duck

can anyone give me advice on a good temperature and time to sous vide duck breast or whole duck?

When I make duck confit (thigh and leg) using SV, I let it simmer for 12 hours at 170F ... then sear very hot and very quickly. Confit is supposed to be pretty much fall-off-the-bone tender so you might want to reduce the time (maybe to 8 hours?) unless that's what you're looking for.

Ready for SV:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duck Confit Ready for the Hot Tub.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	383341

On the plate:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duck Confit Plated.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	383342

Comment

• Georgia rookie 903
      Georgia rookie 903 commented
      Editing a comment
      pic's look . also looks very tasty and juicy color looks great. thank you man

Any particular seasoning for the duck?

Comment

Originally posted by Georgia rookie 903 View Post
      Any particular seasoning for the duck?
      If it's confit that interests you, here is the recipe that I use:

Duck Leg or Chicken Thigh Confit – Sous Vide

Ingredients for 2
      • 2 whole duck legs or 2 large bone-in chicken thighs (with skin)
      • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
      • 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
      • kosher salt – for brining
      • 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
      • Approximately 2 TBSP duck fat
      • 2 bay leaves
      This can be a four day process:
      • Day 1 – Thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours
      • Day 2 – Brine for 24 hours then rinse, season, bag, and refrigerate
      • Day 3 – Sous Vide for 8 (chicken) or 12 (duck) hours then refrigerate
      • Day 4 – Reheat (grill or oven) then sear on the grill or in a skillet
      Directions

Step 1

Rub the legs/thighs with rosemary, 2 sprigs of thyme (both stripped), and peppercorns … then sprinkle with salt (like salting it at the table). Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Note: Be careful not to over salt.

Step 2

Set the sous vide circulator to 170°F (76°C) and allow to come up to temperature.

Step 3

Remove legs/thighs from the refrigerator, rinse thoroughly, and pat dry with paper towels. Place 2 legs/thighs, duck fat, 2 thyme sprigs, and 2 bay leaves in each large zipper lock or vacuum seal bag. Seal using the water immersion technique or using a vacuum sealer on the moist setting.

Step 4

Place the bag in the water bath and for duck, set the timer for 12 hours. [For chicken, set the timer for 8 hours.] Cover the water bath with plastic wrap or foil to minimize water evaporation. Add hot water as needed to keep the meat submerged.

Finishing Steps

Step 1

When the timer goes off, remove the bag from the water bath. If serving immediately, remove the legs/thighs from the bag and season as needed with salt and pepper. Otherwise, leave the duck or chicken sealed in the bag, quickly chill in an ice water bath (1 hr.), then refrigerate for up to two weeks.

Step 2

If refrigerated, reheat the legs/thighs on the grill (or in the oven), over a drip pan, indirect at 250°F to an IT of 140°F (approx. 1.5 hrs.). Brown skin side down on the gas grill sear station (flipping occasionally) until crispy (approx. 12 min.). Alternatively, place in a non-stick or CI skillet over medium-high heat, skin side down, and cook until well-browned, about 5 minutes.
      [NOTE: Do not reheat SV because the meat is likely to fall apart on the grill when searing.]
      Last edited by MBMorgan; May 31, 2019, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Georgia rookie 903
        Editing a comment
        Big Thanks barbecue Brother always appreciate wise men giving us rookies advice

You will not want to do the breast as confit. You want to treat that more like steak. Like 130-135 for 45min to maybe 4 hours at a maximum. Shock, Score the skin, sear the living hell out of it to crisp the skin and render some of the fat out. Maybe a bit of sear on the lean side, depending on how you're gonna serve and how it looks. I wouldn't, but mileage varies.

I wouldnt do a whole duck. If I got a whole duck, I'd do the breasts like this and confit the rest.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed! The recipe I provided is quite specific to thighs and legs ... and is not really suitable for breast meat.

• Georgia rookie 903
        Editing a comment
        man like you great advice on the duck will be following you directions Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here