Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the heck happened to my turkey gravy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the heck happened to my turkey gravy??

So I made a turkey breast on Christmas for the wife and I. I decided to make Meathead ‘s turkey gravy to go with it. Followed his recipe to the letter. Used my large BGE by the way. I placed all ingredients into a disposable aluminum pan the night before, as stated in the recipe, that’s ok.
    Well the gravy turned out fantastic as shown in the first pic.
    There was a lot of leftover so I put the gravy in a CI dutch oven and into the fridge over night uncovered. My reasoning was to be able to scrape off the fat on top the next day.
    Well this is what it looked like after pouring the gravy into mason jars.
    Any ideas??? Maybe docblonder can chime in and help explain just what the heck happened. Click image for larger version

Name:	AE3BBF22-0CEE-4F2A-B9BF-A0574CA18DB2.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	613807Click image for larger version

Name:	202B6989-6A3D-462F-8600-0A76A11AEC70.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	613806

Did you try re-heating a bit to see what happens?

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. Still looked charcoal green.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Taste or wary?

I have found that gravy gets lumpy when refrigerated. Heating it makes the lumps go away for me.

BTW - I also refrigerate gravy to make skinning extra fat off easier. You don't have to leave it uncovered though.
    Last edited by RonB; December 27, 2018, 03:31 PM.

Comment

This is true. It will get lumpy. What I was referring to was the discoloration. It now looks like a bad Science experiment. 😬

Comment

Maybe it's trying to emulate the BGE's color?

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          😂🤣😂🤣

its possible if you used the liver it may have still had the gall bladder on it which would contain some bile. I have heard that can turn a gravy green but never seen it myself.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope. No liver either.
          Don’t know if it had anything to do with the aluminum pan or CI pot. I’m puzzled.

Probably just 800+ trillion Salmonella Reading proliferating in the jar. The green is just their metabolic waste. No worries.

Seriously- odd coloration

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah that's what I'm saying .Weird...

Too much vegetation?

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          It tasted and looked great Christmas night. And overnight strange things happened. It tasted somewhat ok but not like the day before.

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          We have had no luck with his gravy either after several tries. We were not impressed either.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Donw - In fairness, part of the issue is just that my wife doesn't like smoky gravy. So it was handicapped from the start.

2 THOUGHTS.... you left it uncovered in the fridge.(to pick up anything flavor wise that was in the air?????) and you left it in a CI pan.
        I was raised to ALWAYS wash CI after each use. If you are one of the "scrape it out and oil it" club members it may have picked up whatever was on the surface.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure if it picked up anything from the CI. Spinaker taught me well. They get cleaned after each use with only hot water. Than get heated on the stovetop with a wipe of crisbee. So no food build up either.

Think it is coming from the use of an aluminum pan, in your BGE. It can cause the discoloration.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm. Maybe it has something to do with the Egg, the lump charcoal and the aluminum pan.
          All things combined could be factors.
          The mystery continues. 🤔

It's just the sage, which is used as a natural cloth and hair dye. Quite visible if your gravy is light colored. Otherwise obscured in a dark gravy. Stronger with powdered sage, a weaker effect with fresh leaves, but given time and heat, even the fresh leaves will turn hot water green....

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm. Thanks Doc. That never even crossed my mind. So although it looks terrible it's still perfectly good to eat? I appreciate your expertise.

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha. Really good to know. Never crossed my mind either. Thanks!

Steve B-- I can't tell if the gravy is safe without actually having a look. But as an experiment, pour a cup of boiling water over some sage and see what happens...

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Funny. I was just telling my wife about trying that about 2hrs ago.
          Guess great minds think alike. 🤔😂🤣
          I will let you know how it turns out.
          Thanks again for your input. 👍

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here