Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The H.J. Leggie Texas Low & Slow Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Troutman for such a GREAT story and sharing the GREAT information about Woody's

Comment

This thread went under my radar..
      Troutman thanks for sharing Brother!
      And i'm buying that cookbook..
      Last edited by Elton's BBQ; March 24, 2019, 01:54 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Last month I was able to get the Kindle edition of the cookbook for $1.80. I think we made it popular; now the Kindle edition is $9.99 on Amazon.

I had not seen this either. Awesome post. Looks fantastic. Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Okay, I'm requesting a dose of your sage advice, wit, and wisdom. I hope I don't regret it.

I got a batch of legs and thighs marinading in the Wishbone last night before bed. Was planning to cook tonight (so about 24 hr in the marinade), but my guests find themselves committed to taking their granddaughters to the "Dumbo" movie tonight.

The meal is thus rescheduled for tomorrow evening. That's no problem except for one niggling worry -- will I regret leaving the chix in the marinade this long? If so, any suggestions for managing the situation to minimize any trouble?

Menu --
        Grilled chicken
        Sweet potato salad
        Baked beans with bacon and ham
        Sugar snap peas (probably steamed with a bit of butter)
        Adult beverage of choice
        "Grasshopper" sundae -- vanilla ice cream with mint-and-cream liqueur
        Last edited by IowaGirl; March 30, 2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Great menu !!! Post some pix.

I don’t think the extra time in tha marinade will hurt anything, but if you’re concerned take them out and transfer to a container and cover refrigerated until cook time. Leave them wet and simply disgard the dressing.

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Troutman! 'Preciate the advice. I'll take some photos if I get a chance, what with keeping my guests happy and well fed.

I kept the chicken in the Wishbone marinade for the entire 2 days, and it turned out fine - my worries were for nothing.

I preheated the Weber with all burners on medium, then turned the center burner off to set up an indirect heat cook at 275-300 F. The cook took roughly an hour until the thighs reached an internal temperature of 165-170.

Photo shows the meat and my baked beans with the Amazen smoker gadget about halfway through the cook. The beans had a nice smoky flavor, but the chicken could have been a little smokier. I need to experiment with the smoker location to see if I can get better results.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030706 800.JPG Views:	1 Size:	139.1 KB ID:	658508

Everyone at the table loved the sweet potato salad. It's colorful, tart-sweet, and tasty.

Sweet Potato Salad
        Makes about 3 quarts Adapted from recipe at Averiecooks.com

Salad -- Makes about 3 quarts
        About 1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes
        One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
        3 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced OR 1/2 medium sized mild onion, diced
        1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
        1 cup sweet corn (frozen or fresh if possible, canned if not)
        1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely minced (about half of 1 bunch. Optional, but recommended.)

Dressing -- For about 3 quarts of veggies, whisk or blend together:
        1/4 cup mustard (dijon or other mild type -- honey mustard is nice)
        1/2 cup vinegar (apple cider, malt, or similar)
        1/4 cup olive oil or other mild oil
        2 Tablespoons lemon or lime juice
        1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt to taste
        1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
        Pinch cayenne pepper, optional

Wash and peel sweet potatoes. Cut into bite sized pieces (about 1 inch cubes.) Steam over boiling water until just tender or toss in a little mild oil and roast at 400 F until just tender. Cool until pleasantly warm.

Mix the black beans, green onions, red pepper, corn, and cilantro in a 4 quart bowl. When potatoes are cooled, add to the bean mixture. Pour dressing over the veggies and gently mix. Adjust seasonings as desired. Serve warm or chilled.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice job. Try putting your tray under the grates sitting on the flavorizer bars if you have room. You may have to remove one grate. That may help get smoke under the meat. I have a Weber and have never had much luck but I haven't really tried very hard.

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Troutman! My mind was tending the same direction as yours -- get the smoker under the grates so the draft would pull the smoke up and around the food. I'll give it a go.

Ahh
        Got it!

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah i surel look forward to start reading it Texas Larry

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Man I'm sure glad I posted this book, I think the author at least owes me a postcard, I think I boosted his sales exponentially. They were going to discontinue it on Amazon when I bought it but now it's increasing in price. He's probably wondering what the heck is going on, with international sales to boot !!

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Im really glad you did post this @Troutman
          If it wasn't for you i wouldn't have known about this.. so THANKS a million!

WishBone Italian and chicken parts was my very first ever real cook on a real BBQ. That must be over 40 years ago now. It was an instant hit with the family, and launched me on to have excuses to buy the next piece of gear.

Overnight soak in WishBone, and mopped during the cook with a WishBone/Miracle Whip mix.
        Thanks also for the jog back in time. This is on the list very soon.

Comment

Looks really, really good.
          I'll give it a try.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here