Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The H.J. Leggie Texas Low & Slow Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good ole wishbone. Brings back a lot of beer and chicken memories.
    Had an ole girlfriend once and she would wishbone a slab of meat (I believe it was a London broil) and foiled and cooked on a cos that I once had. Then open it up towards the end to smoke it. And add more seasonings. Sorta like mustard on pork. But with wishbone ya could taste it more. All in one marinade.

Comment

We have used Italian dressing a bunch too.

Comment

Woody's ordered!

Comment

Always have used Italian dressin fer soakin some yardbird, on acounta my Ma did, where I learned to cook from...

Th Woody's is a new development, which I shall haveta git on board with, an try!

Comment

• BourBonQ
            BourBonQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here, jus like mama used to...

Great looking chicken, will give this a try for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Yea Mr. Bones the Woody's is new to me I guess, and I'm from Louisianer!

Comment

Just found out Woody's originated in California so (according to their product locator) its available in a couple stores in my city. Could've sworn it would be a southern thing.

Comment

You have completely perplexed me. I recognize the cover of that cookbook as an old one that I had at the house. Since your post I have searched everywhere for it. I asked my wife if she recognized it and she said "yes" but I still can't find it. It should have a broken cover and some tabs for recipes. The chicken looks tremendous and I know there are other recipes in that book that I have forgotten about. That's why I am upset with myself. I know it is here, somewhere, and in the upcoming year I want to go back to old recipes and see how they stack up to what I do now. Love the post, by the way. Please help me find that book!

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Found mine on Amazon, it only cost like $15

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  “[A] collection of barbecue memoirs, trivia and history . . . Walsh interviews the top pit bosses across the state and shares their secrets.” —Publishers WeeklyIf barbecue in Texas is a religion, this book is its bible. Originally published only in print in 2002, this revised and updated edition explores all the new and exciting developments from the Lone Star State’s evolving barbecue scene. The one hundred recipes include thirty-two brand-new ones such as Smoke-Braised Beef Ribs and an extremely tender version of Pulled Pork. Profiles on legendary pitmasters like Aaron Franklin are featured alongside archival photography covering more than one hundred years of barbecue history. Including the basic tools required to get started, secrets and methods from the state’s masters, and step-by-step directions for barbecuing every cut of meat imaginable, this comprehensive book presents all the info needed to fire up the grill and barbecue Texas-style.“In 2002, Robb Walsh’s Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook hit the sweet spot for lovers of smoked meat. The book was part travelogue, part instruction manual, with a side of history thrown in . . . If your old copy is worn, tattered and splashed, it’s time to trade up. If you are late to the barbecue and don’t know the likes of Bryan Bracewell, Vencil Mares and Lorenzo Vences, consider it an investment in your education.” —The Dallas Morning News“Robb Walsh has been there to help shape and document the evolution of Texas barbecue. This new edition is a must-have.” —Aaron Franklin, James Beard Award–winning pitmaster

• McEDaddy
                  McEDaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve got the legends of Texas bbq book, tons of great rubs n sauces. Henley all purpose is a staple in our house

Nice chicken! The story takes me back--I'd forgotten about wishbone Italian dressing.

Comment

Nice wright and pictures again, chicken man, Have not heard of woody's', will have to give it a go. Layer on the flavor. How old is the Book?

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Book itself is maybe 15 years old but the recipes go way back in Texas lore.

Oh man, you had me at Wishbone. Does that ever bring back memories of my Dad super-charring every bit of chicken I ever ate until I left home and saved up enough money to buy my own grill. (Then I charred a few more chickens before learning the ropes, but I digress. )

I'm going to give this a go, Troutman . Sounds like a fun cook with a mighty tasty ending. Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

Good memories for sure. With my Pop it was Italian on chicken thighs and Golden Caesar on Delmonico (chuck eye) steaks. I bet it has been 25 years since I have done either one. I will now work one or the other into the plan. Thanks for the memorable post.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. That's a great story and great looking Chicken.

Comment

I'm kind of blown away that Wishbone has been popularized so widely across the country by your replies. Even combining Woody's and Wishbone I thought was something I did in a vacuum. Thanks for all the comments, perhaps you all can share some Woody's inspired recipes, the stuff is killer.

Comment

• lonnie mac
                          lonnie mac commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I ordered me up some, and put it on my HEB list too. I think I have even seen it there and never gave it a second thought! I will now!

• CaptainMike
                          CaptainMike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Got some coming in the mail too! It's a no-brainer for pork chops/steaks.

When I was growing up in Mansfield TX we used to marinate chicken in that same Wishboone Italian dressing. We mostly would do the boneless skinless chicken breast which can dry out in a hurry but the marinade really helped out. Great story and thanks for sharing.

I have some chuckies that are waiting to be smoked but after that I think it might be time for some thighs like this.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here