Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First try at wings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cook wings n breasts. at 325-350f Use no sugar in the rub and give it hell in the smoker. Takes 45 mins or so for wings. I don't use a temp probe, just snag a few off the pit and try em to see if they are done.

Comment

My experience with chicken is that it should be smoked at 325 to 350. Smoking wings down around 250 could lead to tough and rubbery skin, versus crisp skin. You will notice this more on the Wings than the breasts, due to the skin to meat ratio difference.

i used to smoke everything at 225 to 250, and my wife liked grilled but not smoked chicken wings. Now that I do the wings hotter the wife likes them much better, as do I.

Comment

Looks great. Next time, go over 400 F! See what you think, some like it some don't. I like to get the kamado hot, around 350 F to 400 F, then I add a chunk of oak or hickory to the fire and I let it rip!

Comment

As the others have said, I would run your propane smoker much hotter for chicken, and also not use a water pan as you want dryer air not moisture.

Comment

Transcribed Adrenaline BBQ Wing Cook
            i can’t find the post that linked it.

BUFFALO WINGS ON THE GRILL
            4 Pounds wings
            Dry brine wings

2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
            2 Tablespoons Baking Flour
            1 Tablespoon Salt

Mix in ziplock bag and coat wings

Heat grill to 400-450 degrees

Place wings on grill and brown- about 20 minutes
            If they are browning then brush vegetables oil and turn. Move wings front to back and then oil second side. Bring grill up to 400-450 close lid and continue cooking. Flip again and cook until crispy.

Buffalo Sauce
            ½ cup of Franks Hot Sauce
            1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
            1 tablespoon honey
            Squeeze of lemon
            Cook until slightly reduced bring to boil
            4 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
            Cook until you get a good consistency.

Put about half the sauce in a bowl
            Put in wings mix them up put in more sauce mix some more
            Done

Comment

Using the recipe!They were great! Click image for larger version

Name:	A271795A-EBCF-4ABC-83D0-5108030D1611.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	569552Click image for larger version

Name:	7D58A06E-03DA-46BD-A4A1-0897295A5E2D.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	569554Click image for larger version

Name:	F0F8D15B-7DD8-4895-97D2-504C7EBDA37E.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	569555
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice Job! What wood did you use for your smoke?

Comment

• jecucolo
                  jecucolo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Coupe of hunks mesquite and 1 hunk pecan

Wings are a bifurcation.

You have two choices for optimization.
                1 smoke low at 225F THEN fry to take care of the skin (fry step is fast since they are already heated through)
                2 straight smoke roast hot 400F+. I like ~500

much more smoke flavor with 1. 2 is easier and skin is like fried.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A BBQ joint a half mile from the house makes some GREAT smoked wings. They do #1. Smoke them, then deep fry to crisp up for serving.

I cooked 2 breasts and a package of wings today too. I smoke at about 200 (high smoke on my oellet grill), thrn turned the temp to 325 for an hour. I took the breasts off earlt because they were skinless boneless. The wings turn out great every time. When I temp them with an instant read thermometer, they are between 180 and 207.

Comment

SimpleTexan, I see you posted this morning. The procedure went well, then? Hope so, and you can get back on that cooker!!!

Comment

• SimpleTexan
                    SimpleTexan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi klflowers! Yes, the liver transplant was a success! I'm a very blessed man - my son-in-law was my donor - I literally owe him my life. There were several complications including the need for a second surgery the day after the transplant, and I was in the hospital for 20 days vs the standard 5-10, but thankfully all the prayers from family and friends got me through it all.

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Beautiful. Glad to hear it.

• AC BBQ
                    AC BBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    God Bless You, its good to hear that all went well.

I've only been home just over a week, and I have to make two trips a week up to Denver (I live in Colorado Springs) to the hospital for blood work and dr. visits to make sure I'm making progress.
                  I'm still pretty tired and weak, but I look outside each day and see the smoker and can't wait to have the energy to get things going again! It may be a few more weeks before I'll have enough energy to get out there, but I'm thinking I'll start with smoking a whole chicken to get back into the swing of things!

Thanks for remembering about the surgery - that's very kind of you.

Ken

Comment

• jecucolo
                    jecucolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad to hear you are feeling better and the surgery went well. Rest up and get yourself health again.
                    Joe

• Mudkat
                    Mudkat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad you're feeling better! That is one great son in ya inlaw!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here