Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled chicken advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled chicken advice

Evening all, we're having friends over next week to celebrate the baby's first birthday and I'm leaning towards pulled chicken sandwiches with BBQ sauce (cheap, relatively quick and still delicious). It's looking like 10 adults and 6 little kids (4 to 5 year olds) and I'm looking for some advice on pieces and amounts.

1. Pieces: I was thinking bone-in thighs (easy to fit a bunch on the 22 inch Weber, easy to shred), but should I include some white meat too? Or go for leg quarters? It's all good, but I thought I'd see if anybody has strong feelings on this.

2. Amount: We're serving a bunch of sides (coleslaw, beans, cake) but I'm looking for suggestions on how much to prepare. One big thigh per adult and half a thigh for each kid or am I wildly underestimating?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Personally, I'd stick with my preference for dark meat. In terms of amount, you want between 1/3-1/2 lb served per hungry adult (and you know about leftovers). What I don't know is the yield from uncooked for these. Maybe figure 2/3 lb per adult uncooked, and 1/3 per kid? Nothing wrong with leftovers. But not enough is not a good thing.

I'm kind of basing that on bone-in thighs.

Comment

• jleinaweaver
      jleinaweaver commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, the dark meat was meant to keep me happy and the chicken moist if it sits for a bit after cooking. Thanks EdF!

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with EdF, but you might want to consider whether some folks like dark or white meat. I know my family has very definite preferences!

• Baltassar
      Baltassar commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd probably do two thighs per person; maybe more. This will be a great left-over.

I would think you would go with whole chickens.

Google tells me:

A 2 ½ to 4 pound whole chicken will serve approximately three to four people. Roasting Chicken: A 4 to 7 pound chicken will serve approximately five to seven people.

Comment

• jleinaweaver
      jleinaweaver commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I usually use, but I was thinking it would be easier to skip breaking down the whole chickens and to focus on the meaty thighs. Especially if it means buying 4 chickens and I can get good prices per pound on pieces. Thanks.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah and you might be able to get more meat on the grill by going with pieces. However I like the mix you end up with when pulling a whole chicken. Then you get the carcasses for stock too.

I'm thinking 2 thighs per adult and 1 per child as KFC sells 2pc meals and never heard of them selling 1pc lol. Just my 2 cents

Comment

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Stick with thighs and go for 2 per person.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I agree with this approach, so many ounces or libs per person means nothing to me. I don't eat poundage I eat pieces with my eyes and stomach. 2 per person with sides I think would be more than enough. If they complain send them down to Wendy's

Easier to pull boneless skinless thighs. Cook fast lots more barky flavor.

Comment

• jleinaweaver
      jleinaweaver commented
      Editing a comment
      I love this idea, but bone in, skin on promises crispy skin gets mixed into the pulled chicken. Any suggestion for getting a nice bark on the boneless version given they cook so fast? Are you suggesting cooking the boneless thighs indirect?

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Crispy skin is easier to get off the bird! Flatten out the skin, season and cook on a Frogmat like bacon. Really yummy!

I recently purchased some chicken quarters and some chicken drumsticks on sale from "Smart & Final" a Big Box supplier near me. I can say cooking them and feeding the party was sure easier than using whole chickens for what I was doing, worked well for me.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      There's something implied in the word "Final" that bothers me

• Baltassar
      Baltassar commented
      Editing a comment
      Turns out "Smart" and "Final" were the names of the business' founders. Go figure. A nice store, where I live.

I use whole when I do pulled chicken and just break it down to each piece because we prefer the mix of white and dark meat. I also pull the skin off and try to cook it as a whole sheet and crumble it up into little pieces to top the sandwiches but I may start mixing it in the pulled chicken because it never lasts when I keep it separate! Instead of typical bbq sauce last weekend after pulling the chicken I mixed in the stuff for Mississippi chicken and threw it back on the Weber for half an hour or so and everybody absolutely loved it! I used two whole chickens last week and fed six hungry folks and had enough leftovers for a couple more sandwiches.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      What's Mississippi Chicken? I know Mississippi pot roast, but not chicken!

• castironchris
      castironchris commented
      Editing a comment
      Basically the same thing. After pulling I added the ranch seasoning packet and the au jus packet and pepperoncini juice and packet and a little chicken stock to the pulled chicken and then covered in foil and threw back on grill for a while to let everything meld together. Family went nuts over it!!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here