Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless, skinless, chicken breasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless, skinless, chicken breasts

Ok so I need help. I used a Weber kettle with slow and sear, smoke thermometer, drip n griddle.
    i cut the breasts in half cross ways to septates the think end from the thinner end. I place each half in a zip lock bag and smash it with a sauce pan to make all pieces about the same thickness of about 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
    I season with Koshir salt and either Simon and Garfunkel or lemon pepper seasoning. Place all pieces in the large zip lock and run them all around a couple times over about 2 hrs leaving then in the fridge.
    Light about 1/2 chimney of briquettes.
    When grill is hot, about 350° to 370° I cook the chicken indirectly adjusting to 350°. About 1/2 way through, about 135° inside temp I flip them over.
    At 160° inside temp I remove the chicken.

Thought it taste good, they seem to be a little dry except the middle thicker areas.

What would you recommend to help make the chicken more juicy and tender but still be done?

Thank you all

I cook boneless/skinless chicken breasts hot and fast and pull at 160*. And I normally marinate with a thin Italian Dressing. When cooking hot and fast you have to be careful what you put on the breasts because it may burn. Dried herbs and sugary stuff burns quickly. Thick bbq sauce may have too much sugar in it and would probably burn anyway.
    I don't normally pound the chicken because that makes it cook too fast and I have to pull it before any browning. Some say that pounding it causes the cell walls to rupture and release moisture, but I haven't seen any proof of that.
    I cook with the whole breast over the fire until the thin end is done and the place the thick end over the fire with the thin end off the fire. I may have to try cutting in half so that I can pull the thinner parts first.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      SV

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the sous vide!

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      +2. Sous video to 145°F

I don't smash mine anymore. I trim them up and let 'er rip. I go up to 165 in the thickest with plenty juicy results.

Comment

I use the same setup , I fill the sns with water and I leave my breast in 1 piece, I think that could be where your losing moisture, assuming you have water in your sns, try that hope it helps, and as long as it taste good that's not all bad!!!

Comment

A wet brine works best on chicken parts.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
          Frozen Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          This. Wet brine or chicken parts or pork chops. Always been worth the time to do it for me. Keeps things juicy and adds more flavor.

If larger pieces, I cook chicken to 150 or 155 then pull it off and watch that the carryover keeps it there for 5 minutes.

Or or you can practice and let carryover take you to 165.

Theres basically no forgiveness for overcooking in low-fat chicken breast.

Comment

Try cooking boneless skinless chicken thighs for more flavor and more moisture.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Another +1

• jgreen
            jgreen commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 from me too. I prefer thighs to chicken Breast.

• Joetee
            Joetee commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh I love thighs. But trying to lose some weight by eating chicken salads for a while.
            IMO boneless skinless chicken breasts are one of hardest meats to cook and make them taste good.

Wrap in bacon. You could also stuff them.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            That's the way I do them mostly.

IMO, try to leave them whole and not flattened.
          If you wat to flatten then cook on direct heat and move them around, in and out of the heat. This works pretty good for me.

Comment

Also, sous vide and sear...awesome !!!

Comment

I would just grill those chicken breasts. Hot and fast, flipping frequently.

Comment

Hot and fast and pull at 160. No margin for error with boneless skinless.

Comment

Sounds like you are ok. If buying the same quality chicken do it the same and pill at 156/158. Small tweeks at a time. Otherwise:

fry breaded thugs and wings in lard.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How do you fit a thug in your fryer?

Thanks people. I'll try the hot and fast. I guess I could also get a rotisserie basket and turn them.

And I just remembered, I did forget to add water to the SnS.

But anyway thanks for all the replies. Great advise as usual.

Oh and one more thing. Since I like mine juicy and wife and Mom likes card board, I can give them the thin end. LOL
                  Last edited by Joetee; April 25, 2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• ssandy_561
                    ssandy_561 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Same with me and my wife. I'll butterfly her chicken breast or pork chop at the end and grill it more on the cut sides.

Joetee brining could help with the moisture.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here