Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm talking turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm talking turkey

As many know, my wife likes her meat well done. It was Thanksgiving up here yesterday and her family came over for dinner (they all like it past well done). In the interest of peace and love I withdrew from the cooking of the turkey and let her do the job because it just wasn't gonna work. She cooked it to 185 internal in the breast! I was all ready to be 'right' when I was eating it and much to my surprise IT WAS MOIST and delicious! What the *#%)??? An argument I enjoyed losing. Hope you all have a great day.

I've found, when smoking turkey and chicken on my PBC that I can take the breast temp up higher than 165°F (usually done so inadvertently) by 10°F or more and the breast is still juicy. I attribute this to a couple of things--first, the bird is always dry-brined, and secondly, on fresh turkeys or turkey breasts I inject the breast with melted butter. Commercial turkeys are often pre-brined and sometimes injected at the packing house.

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you, Hugh .

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc - that is what I'm thinking, it must have been an injected bird. By the way, I found a used 22" Weber and it came with another chimney. I'm in sear heaven and I have my project for next summer, learning to cook with charcoal.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh man, Hugh, that's totally awesome. Congrats and Enjoy!

K.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah buddy. Flamethrower burgers coming at you!

Hugh, Damn I knew That but I Forgot❓ I grew up 10 Miles South of "The Line"❗️ Happy "Albeit Belated" Thanksgiving to You and Yours‼️
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Thanks Danjohnston949. I get to celebrate Thanksgiving twice a year. A good friend of mine married a girl from New York. She doesn't have extended family up here so we get to celebrate the U.S. thanksgiving with them every year too. She makes sure she out does what any of us do for Canadian Thanksgiving so I look forward to it.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing not to like about Thanksgiving food, Canadian or American.

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hugh, fzxdoc, Kathryn, I just eMailed an Old Friend and College Roommate and His Wife in Brandon MB, George and His Wife Peggy were both from Souix Ste Marie, ON Originally! They lived Closer to My Folks than I did, Good Friends❓ IMHOP‼️ But Don't Tell George I Said So‼️ 🤗😇🤗
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

how much maple syrup do you put on your turkey?

Comment

Nothin beats maple syrup and Canadian bacon on pancakes. I haven't figured out how to work turkey in there yet!

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            inject it! maybe with some of that butter and bacon juice.

Hugh I'm not sure about that. Your canards are pretty darn good but pronounced funny for a duck. I'm with fzxdoc on TG food. One word. Leftovers. (Insert angels singing and the blue sky parting while dropping a stairway to heaven now) BOOM!! Science may diafree with me but when stuff is imparted into the meat that hangs on to H2o molecules and you cook it slowly... it's seems to hold on to,moisture better. Kind alike a mop bucket or sponge. Maybe it's just me but inching your way to 165 holds more moisture IMHO

Happy Thanksgiving my well done northern brother.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here