Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ain't She Purdy? 2014

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here it is all sliced up. OK, not all of it. There is still a ton of meat left on the bone but this pretty well filled up the platter.Click image for larger version

Name:	copy91.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	35286

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great! Nice carving job.

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome !

• Marauderer
      Marauderer commented
      Editing a comment
      Frac, another fantastic cook!! Thanks for sharing.

Here's mine! First attempt at Meathead's Ultimate Smoked Turkey. I just pulled it off the Weber a few minutes ago and carved it. It cooked in under 3 hours, so I was a little ahead of the side dishes. The pieces we pulled off the carcass are sublime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0844.JPG
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	35304Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0845.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	35305Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0846.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	35306

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice!

• Marauderer
      Marauderer commented
      Editing a comment
      First attempt?? Come on, that looks about as good as it can get. Wow!! Congrats on a great job.

• fracmeister
      fracmeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Nicely done

Here's the Parrish turkey. A good meal it was!

Name:	IMG_5680.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	35326

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Add turmeric and cumin, and you basically have curry powder with a bunch of herbs added. Maybe that's their secret!

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I think you're on to something.

• cut2cure
      cut2cure commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice job! That is perfect on every level!

This was my first time trying out the ultimate Turkey recipe. It is the best thing I have ever made and ate. We followed the recipe to the T and I wouldn't change a thing.

Name:	Thanksgiving 2014 First Smoked Turkey 025.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	35375 Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	35376
    Last edited by milobeto; November 27, 2014, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• Marauderer
      Marauderer commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats Milo on a job well done. Sounds like everyone really enjoyed it, even the Pitmaster!!

• cut2cure
      cut2cure commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy SMOKES that looks good! Nicely done!!!

Beautiful, nice job milobeto! Be sure to enter that top pic into the Pretty Bird photo contest at the main site, the link is on the turkey recipe page.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      That top pic is off the hook. Bravo!

• milobeto
      milobeto commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, for the compliment. I will enter it in the contest.

Final product.

Name:	image_3830.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	35434
    Last edited by David Parrish; November 28, 2014, 12:53 PM. Reason: Displayed photo

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice job BC!

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      My thanks to AR for the recipe and instructions! Not to mention all of the helpful posts and submissions from the likes of ya'all. : )

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like good eatin to me!

Those are some good looking turkeys guys, thanks for sharing! I might have to try Meathead's recipe for Christmas dinner.

Comment

OK, had a few libations with family...didn't finish posting my final pics. This turkey was EASLY the best I've ever made...and I owe a sincere "THANK YOU" to the folks at amazingribs.com! I took it to 160F, and the carry-over cooking made the most juicy, delicious bird I've ever done. Rubbed both sides with herb mix (sage, rosemary, thyme, black peppercorn, salt, paprika) and cooked on the pellet smoker. Took about 2 1/2 hours to reach 160F internally. NO LEFTOVERS!! (OK, so brother and nephew took a bunch of Tupperware containers home).

Hoping you all had a wonderful day with family and friends!

And a little shout out to the BEST BREWER in the NORTHWEST...JOSH KING of Sockeye Brewery! Had a couple of Sockeye beers before the wine and spirits flowed...

Name:	Spatchcock 5.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	35524

Comment

Smoked 3 turkeys on my EOS per meatheads instruction and they were a hit.Trimmed them up,oiled them down and S&G under skin.Prepped the night before and was able to maintain 325 for the 2 1/2 hours these 15 pounders required.Butterball so no injection.I rotated the birds once at 1 1/2 hrs. and wrapped the drum and wing ends.Even though my carving knife was razor sharp,not professionally honed prevented me from getting a good cut on the skin.

Name:	image_3835.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	35537
        Last edited by David Parrish; November 28, 2014, 01:04 PM. Reason: Displayed photo

Comment

• Smokee1962
          Smokee1962 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Pit Boss,my computer ability has prevented me from posting this in the correct place and manner.My attempt at posting under The Ultimate Turkey thread has failed.

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Finally a stick burner bird...Nice bird Smokee

You folks can cook up a turkey.

Comment

• cut2cure
          cut2cure commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, Ernest! There are some pretty darned serious bird-chefs here! Looking great!

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't seen any birds on here that I would walk away from...Great job everyone

I had a great cook on the PBC yesterday with a 13.5 lb spatchcocked turkey, PBC All Purpose Rub, injected with melted butter. Left one rebar out the whole time and cracked the lid a couple of times. Ave PBC Temp: 331 deg F. Turkey temp: 160 breast 180 thigh when taken off the cooker. Cook time: 1.5 hours (!) Results: meat so juicy that the juice was practically dripping off our elbows and chins. Huuuuuge hit with family and friends. They liked it much better than the traditional turkey I made in the oven at the same time.

The only photo was just before turkey was taken off the pit. After that I was too busy to take any photos. That turkey (and a conventional one --15.5 lbs spatchcocked; 2 hours cook time--made in the oven) were descended upon by the hungry horde too quickly!

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	35578

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; November 28, 2014, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          They turned out amazing, cdd! All of my concerns about not having enough fat in them or tasting gamey went away with the first bite. Oven roasting was delicious and if we had not had the PBC bird for comparison, we may never have known what we were missing. Both birds were great in their own right.

Kathryn

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Nicely done! When it's almost too juicy, then you know it's perfect!

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          I really like that pic. Every time I look I see a new nuance.

My contribution to our family Thanksgiving day feast. Just did a 7.5lb breast, injected, seasoned and smoked using apple wood chips. Took about 2 1/2 hours at 275F. Got many compliments... it was very tender and juicy! Many thanks to the contributors on this website.

Name:	IMG_0671.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	35584

Comment

I went downstate to spend a day/night with some family to hang out and for the kids to play, etc. They decided they were going to cook a turkey yesterday (Fri) for dinner. We provided the turkey, they were doing the sides. It was going to be a standard oven turkey, no smoker and mine is not portable. My wife went down a day before I did, and they began prep on the turkey without me there. I texted her the Simon & Garfunkel rub recipe, and she and I corresponded as to the amount of sodium listed on the wrapper, etc, so I could decide if it needed dry brining or not. I decided not. So...she gave it the S&G rub treatment with a slight dusting of salt.

As I arrived at their home, with my Maverick and ThermoPop in tow, I discovered the turkey was covered in a roasting pan with the lid on. And it was intact (non-spatchcocked). Thankfully it had JUST been put in the oven when I got there.

I promptly removed it (still cold thankfully), used shears to spatchcock it, raise the grate up off the bottom of the roasting pan a few more inches, and put some S&G rub on the inside of the cavity, which still had ice chunks in it. Put my Mav probes in it, and placed it back in the oven uncovered.

The family was quite curious as to what I was doing and why, and my wife told me I needed to chill, they just wanted to do a normal turkey without me going all "pro" on them. I just said "trust me, guys". We pulled it when the one breast was 163 and the other 167, ThermoPop confirmed.

The pics I got were not the best, considering the mass influx of hungry family, both adults and kids alike--we all know that "food's ready" rush-- but I managed to snap a shot. They remarked how nice the brown crispy skin was and said "good job" to me. I think one more family is sold on the spatchcocked, uncovered turkey method.

Next time I do one it will smoked on my stickburner and I promise I will get better pics. This is all I managed to get and that was only after they attacked it with knives and forks.

Name:	IMAG5930.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	35737
          Attached Files

Comment

• mtford72
            mtford72 commented
            Editing a comment
            There are those that run away from disaster, and those that run towards it to save the day. You are firmly in the camp of the latter!

• mtford72
            mtford72 commented
            Editing a comment
            There are those that run away from disaster, and those that run towards it to save the day. You are firmly in the camp of the latter!

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Why thank you guys! No one complained when they ate, in fact they said things like "nice job on the turkey" ...and "so tell me again what you did, I'll have to try that next time". I just kept thinking how good it would've been smoked with a little apple & ash instead of just oven roasted. Juicy & delicious nonetheless.

That was a good call, Huskee - to pull that bird and do 'er up right. I am sure they all loved it.

Ya... it is hard to get hungry people to back off so we can get pics... And they are just screaming and rolling their eyes at you. Hahaha!

Comment

Excellent story Huskee. I'm guessing afterwards they were quite happy you went "all pro" on them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here