Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ain't She Purdy? 2014

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hahahahaha! very nice Boss! I love it... sorry been ,o,,mbibing... bubbly manhattans... my turkey is happily toasting up in the PbC... my wife is giggling too...

All this has put the happiness of Thanksgivikng biack into this awesome holiday (glad I have tomorrow off work!)

Comment

• BruceB
      BruceB commented
      Editing a comment
      I want to know about "bubbly Manhattans" - ???

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      oh Bruce here is a link... they are different, but I like em a lot LOL....

As the name suggests, this is a variant on the traditional Manhattan, with a good, bitter IPA standing in for the traditional dash of bitters. The bubbles are just an added bonus. I don't shake the beer together with the whiskey and vermouth, because I it loses just a bit of that effervescence that you're adding the beer for -- so I pour it into the glass at the same time as straining the whiskey. I also think that an orange slice brings out the flavors of the whiskey better than the traditional maraschino cherry, and has the added benefit of looking like something that exists naturally on the planet Earth. You can up the ante a bit by substituting a sliced kumquat for the orange slice. - Collin

One hour in. She's looking good. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	35184

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      WOW, That pic will sell some smokanators. NICE!

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      I previously added a Smokenator to the Xmas List specifically for doing turkeys... and some rib racks.

Proud owner of a Vortex

Looking good indeed. Did you cover the wingtips and leg tips?

Comment

Wing tips are covered. Waiting a bit longer for leg tips because they're not as far along.

Comment

It ain't pretty but dang it was good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3795.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	35201
        Last edited by David Parrish; November 28, 2014, 12:54 PM. Reason: displayed photo

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Ain't pretty? Man that looks REAL! Mahogany color and all!

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          JayBird that looks AMAZING!

Got Two 13# birds. Spatchcocked both, salted last night, and used Simon and Garfunkel rub. Both cooked @325. One went in oven and the other smoked on the WSM. Both cooked to breast temp of 165. Both tasted great and were quite moist. Smoked one had darker, crispier skin. Informal poll of my family favored smoked bird.

Name:	image_3806.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	35210 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3807.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	35211
        Last edited by David Parrish; November 28, 2014, 12:55 PM. Reason: Displayed photo

Comment

• cut2cure
          cut2cure commented
          Editing a comment
          Smoked bird looks better to me, but I'd dive into BOTH!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I concur as well

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          they both look great

Meathead's techniques, Wiviot's Buttermilk Brine, Lilley's rub and a Maple Honey Butter glaze!

Name:	image_3808.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	35214 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3805.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	35215 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3809.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	35216
        Last edited by David Parrish; November 28, 2014, 12:56 PM. Reason: Displayed photos

Comment

• cdd315
          cdd315 commented
          Editing a comment
          Woa .. that's impressive color!! Nice looking bird that there

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like a BBQ-sauced turkey, that color is pretty.

right out of the PBC... not prettied up yet... 2.5 hours 2 13 lbs turkeys... approx 250 deg F cooker temp. Along with my bubbly manhattan (1 if 3) LOL!

Name:	thturkeyey2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	35226 Click image for larger version

Name:	thturkeyey3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	35228 Click image for larger version

Name:	thturkeyey1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	35227

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya sorry... I didnt get pictures of the ABTs or gravy, or awesome chipotle corn bread stuffing... and yes, I did make my brother and sister in law squirm and sweat a lot! Hahahahaha!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Nicely done Steveo! Beverage shot too, extra bonus points for you!

• JayBird
          JayBird commented
          Editing a comment
          Great looking Birds. This page makes me want to do it all over again.

You guys are KILLING me! I just got mine on the Louisiana Grills Country Smoker...set the probe for 160F, anticipating carry-over cooking to reach 165F (THANK YOU AR.COM!). All good, so far. I am truly impressed at the great pictures...making me hungry! Click image for larger version

Name:	Spatchcock 4.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	35238

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks good so far!

• cut2cure
          cut2cure commented
          Editing a comment
          Do I really need to cover the leg bones??

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry for the late reply. You probably do. You have to watch them. Once they start getting brown is the time to foil them.

Sunset as the turkey is about to come off. Nice day indeed.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You have as open a view of the sunset as I do, lol

Name:	20141127_112426.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	35258 Cooked on my YS640, was just FANTASTIC. Used Maveric ET-733 to monitor temps both chamber and breast. I will say this is the only way to go. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a purdy pic there. I enjoy pics of food and cooker, they're a team!

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I concur A-Ron!

Spathcocking isn't the way to make them all Norman Rockwell but it is the only way to go for my 26 lb pterodactyl. Salted the day before with a MH style S&G rub with oil under the skin I smoked it at 225F for 45 and then went to 325F. About an hour and a half in the faux cambro was needed because it only took 3 hours to cook! That said it was all super juicy even if some of the skin wasn't as crispy as when I pulled it. I blogged all the intermediate details and a lot more pics including a nice one showing how pretty my neighborhood is today.

What is Thanksgiving without a turkey? The 26 lb bird had been thawing in the refrigerator since the previous Friday. On Wednesday morning ...

Name:	DSC00488.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	35261

​

Comment

Name:	image_3818.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	36630

Name:	image_3819.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	36631
          Happy Thanksgiving! 2nd turkey, I did a dry run on Sunday. I followed Meatheads recipe exactly and both turned out great. I just joined the pitmaster club today. Over the last 6 mo this site changed our lives. Thanks and keep up the good work.
          Last edited by smokedoc; December 2, 2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Man doc that pretty

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Perfect bird!

• smokedoc
            smokedoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey thanks guys, I did a dry run on Sun with a 14 pounder on my 26.75 Weber grill with a smokenator. My brother in Boston was supposed to have the same grill but after traveling 8 1/2 hours it turns out he has a 22.5. Needless to say my smokenator would not fit and we had to use a second small grate with 4 rocks to keep the bird 3 inches above the gravy pan. This was an 18 pounder and it just cleared the lid. The gravy pan was inside a larger metal pan used to hold the charcoal back. Only problem was near the end the flames wanted to jump over to the gravy like a grease fire. In the end the mission was accomplished. No leftovers!!!

All the birds looks good but I would like to see one that was cook on a stick burner...Maybe Huskee done one on his Yoder

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Did I miss yours DWC?

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Infortunately Jon, I couldn't be home for TG this year but I will be home for Christmas and there will a turkey and a ham in the Lang

• Smokee1962
            Smokee1962 commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine was cooked on a stick burner.

Well, All those Turkeys looked great, not a poor one in the bunch. I didn't do a turkey today but, I did one earlier in the week. My first Spatchcocked one. It came out Terrible (great to me).

But, alas, today it was just the DW and me so we had a simple meal of steamed Lobster Tails, Steamed corn on the cob, sauteed zuccini, tomato, onion, gorganzola cheese, and home made buttermilk ranch dressing., A glass of wine each with some drawn butter and hard rolls. Man it's rough around here with just the two of us.

And while I was goofing off I made a Ham with Split Pea soup for another day.

I hope all had a great day with their love ones and had a chance3 to break bread and be thankful for what we have!!

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Hats off Barry!

• ontheranch
            ontheranch commented
            Editing a comment
            You are an udder delight. (oops, been ontheranch too long). You and DW can sit at my table any time. Especially if YOU cook.

• Marauderer
            Marauderer commented
            Editing a comment
            I know it's a rough life but someone has to do it.

OTR, I would love to make a trip up your way and visit. I liked your avatar. Is that your home in the background?

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here