Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle Christmas Turkey in the UK with the Slow N Sear & Weber Rotisserie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kettle Christmas Turkey in the UK with the Slow N Sear & Weber Rotisserie

Hey guys, my lovely wife has bought me the weber rotisserie for christmas and has been gracious enough to allow me test cook with a chicken tonight in lieu of our main event for Christmas... so it went well and weather permitting i want to use the rotisserie, i tried baskets with half a chimney and some left over bricks with the chicken tonight and while that gave me enough lasting heat to do the chicken i'm thinking it may be better to set the SnS at least half and half for the turkey. Have you guys any advice please, I've spatchcocked with great success but i'd like to try the rotisserie? Is there a recommend technique? I would be extremely grateful for your experience

Several others here and I used the rotisserie for a Thanksgiving turkey - successfully. I left all vents wide open and put a piece of foil between the turkey and the SnS to prevent flareups. Without the foil, the bird may blacken. I did not truss the bird because holding the wings and the thighs close to the body slows cooking. I did remove the end joint from the wings, and I watched the ends of the legs, but did not have to foil them. The turkey was coated with peanut oil, (what I had on hand), and Simon and Garfunkel Rub was applied. I pulled it when the breast was about 160* and the thighs were about 170*. It came out juicy with crisp skin although the skin did soften a bit by serving time. I've been doing turkeys this way for many years and the only problem I have had was when the charcoal flared up and burned the skin.

This post has a lot of turkey photos in it - mine is on page 2 and is reply # 20.

Comment

• Freakbrother128
      Freakbrother128 commented
      Editing a comment
      hey thank you, i've just followed your guidance there. i like it, you use the foil to shield from the full heat of the coals right? how much coal do you set up with? thanks

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Freakbrother128 - I use a full chimney of lit brickettes. If you don't have the Weber chimney, just fill the SnS with lit coals. The reason for the foil is to keep juices from dripping on the coals and ignighting.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here