Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ain't She Purdy? 2016!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ain't She Purdy? 2016!

This is the official thread for posting Thanksgiving Day photos of your turkeys. Since this IS a recipe section, please also let us know how you cooked the turkey, what you thought of the results, and what you'd do differently next time. Even if you followed MH's ultimate turkey recipe please give specifics about what you did. Everyone executes a little differently and we all want to steal each other's techniques.... erm... share I mean

To see last year's turkey thread click here.

David Parrish, She Sure Is Purdy Boss! But How do You Stuff a Road Kill Turkey? 🤗😇🤗
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	144
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	241234Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	241235Click image for larger version

Views:	132
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	241236Click image for larger version

Views:	132
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	241237
    Attached Files

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, It was smoked in the 22 1/2" Weber Kettle, S 'n S, Baffle Plate & BBQGURU Digi Q Dx-2 Temp. Controller! The Wood was a Mixture of Apple & Hickory Chunks! 🍀🍀 Pure Luck 🍀 I Think 🍀
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I sit corrected. I bet she was tasty!

• Billy Gilbert
      Billy Gilbert commented
      Editing a comment
      My turkeys never get that dark I don't smoke I'm an oven cooker because my family can't stand flavor. That looks awesome!

Danjohnston949 WOW!!! Looks great Dan!!!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker, Thanks John! That was 2015 TG, I never Posted it Last Year so I figured What The H---L Post It Now! Try to Repeat Next Week on the OK'A Joe H'ldr Offsett! Burning Red Oak with Apple & Hickory for Smoke?

@Pit, MEMBERS, RIBBERS ONE AND ALL! Just out of Curiosty I checked the Temp's Here in The Bottom Of Glacial Lake Aggazzis! Geologists have determined I would be sitting at the Kitchen Table under " 1 MILE OF ICE " during Glacial Times? Make for a Poor Thanksgiving BBQ'd Turkey I Think?
    I have Posted 2015 TG Temps and this Mornings Temps Here for Your Consideration? 😅👙🤔Warmer or Colder?😱☃😨

20 Nov 2016

Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	241681Click image for larger version

Views:	139
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	241683

Thanksgiving 2015

Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	241679Click image for larger version

Views:	141
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	241680
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Under 1 mile of ice I would definitely recommend cooking on the BGE - unless, of course, a pterodactyl mistook it for one of her fossils.

Yeppers, right purty turkey ya' made, there!!!

'Twas a balmy 28° here, when I got up. Cool beans, we needed th' freeze t' git rid of th' Oak Itch Mites, etc.

Have a Grand Soft Sunday, Danjohnston949 !!!

Sláinte !!!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 20, 2016, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Remember to enter our annual Annual Pretty Bird Turkey Shoot Photo Contest
      Sponsored by Thermoworks with some nice prizes http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...d_contest.html

Comment

I watched the Chris Lilly video... he talks about how he smokes a turkey on the pit. Any idea how long to keep it on a RecTec, same method? I assume it is to temp using my Thermoworks, but where do I take the reading on a whole bird inside foil? This method appeals to me, but I'm thinking about the Simon & Garfunkel option... if I can't figure how long the whole-foil-buttered approach will take.
        Any advice/experience/thoughts?

Comment

Thanks for pointing out the link to last year...I found my notes on what I did in 2015 so I can do it again this year!

Comment

I have just "spatchcocked" my first turkey. That just sounds awful to me, but it is a great idea! Still have all of my fingers, too! I started this turkey in a wet brine, but tomorrow night I am going to tank that idea, rub it with salt and let it dry out in the fridge for a crispy crust. I plan to use my GMG pellet grill at 365 to cook it Thanksgiving. It will be 40Ëš F outside with little wind chill and sunny. Do I need the "blanket" or should I just allow more time and pellets? (Backup turkey in oven just in case as this is my first smoked turkey.)

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              mfrese, edible hen has a point but it consider how salty your Brine is? How long vs recommended time it has Brined! I think you will be OK with a moderate Dry Brine perhaps Mixed with Your Rub! Good Luck! 👍👍🍀👍👍

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              You can call it "butterflied" too. My wife thinks "spatchcocked" is some kind of guy macho term!

• mfrese
              mfrese commented
              Editing a comment
              Best turkey ever! Gone before I could take a pic! Took the turkey out of wet brine and dried out in fridge. Salt, pepper, oil and thyme. Cooked 3 hours @325Ëš. Outdoor temp 40Ëš. Used GMG "blanket" and fruit pellets. Wrapped legs in bacon. Made Drunken Cranberries.

The turkey breast using Meathead's modified Bobby Flay recipe will go on the smoker in a bit. But here's two small home cured hams coming off the smoker shortly and into the faux Cambro. Heirloom hog, Memphis Dust'd, Apricot Glazed'. Use MH's wet brine recipe with an 8 day cure. Cloudy, temps in low 40's, no wind, Big Poppa UDS, Kingston blue and white bag. Next time I would be more stringent on trimming the fat.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0013.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	243191

Comment

Name:	image_29973.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	243225Click image for larger version

Name:	image_29974.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	243226Click image for larger version

Name:	image_29975.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	243227 Well, that was fast. This is my first turkey, had a trial run with a chicken. I ran at 375 w webber 22.5 kettle SnS and party q. Prob too hot. I spatchcocked and dry brined the bird last night. Got up this morning later than I intended and was worried about time. Lol. It shot a little past my target at 1:15 min mark. So I started too early. Prob should have read up on temp but im ok with it. Also, I normal oil or butter the skin but I didnt. And these are pies I made last night. 2 cherry, 1 strawberry, 1 blueberry in chocolate crust.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                How big was the bird? I'm reckoning my temp and time now. First time I've spatchcocked a turkey.

20 lb natural fresh bird. Brined using a Rodelle brine from Costco for 24 hours. Left to dry for 12 hours, and placed in the MES 30 at 6:30 AM at 275 using apple wood chips. Temp has since been turned down to 225 to slow down the cook a bit, as it just hit 150 in the thigh. Final pics to follow once this beautiful bird is done and resting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1044.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.37 MB ID:	243278

Name:	image_29982.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	243279

Last edited by Bustingrocks; November 24, 2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                That is one big bird.

• Bob's BBQ
                Bob's BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a MONSTER - looks awesome!

20lbs fresh turkey from Lee's Meat Market in Austin
              Dry brined for 36 hours
              Wet rubbed with S&G
              injected with butter
              Smoke on Pitts and Spitts pellet smoker. 30 minutes at 190, rest at 330 until breast was 155.

I would not change one thing, came out perfect!

sorry for the double pics. Can't figure this out on my phone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3296.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.06 MB ID:	243308Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3297.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.09 MB ID:	243312Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3302.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.71 MB ID:	243311Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3309.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.65 MB ID:	243322Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3310.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.99 MB ID:	243321
              Attached Files
              Last edited by RanchoStarvo; November 24, 2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

My sister-in law made some killer chessy potatoes. These are the best potatoes I've ever had. Lots of butter, cheese, sour cream, cream of mushroom, cream of chicken all mixed with diced Yukon potatoes. The bird is in the old Westinghouse for a few more hours. This old thing is a fire hazard, but it makes a damn fine Turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Name:	IMG_1483.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	243325Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	243326

Comment

@Pit Club, David Parrish, Meathead, Ted Conrad, smb7402, Thanksgiving 2016, A 13# Natural Turkey from Northern MN, Dry Brined w/Kosher Salt, Refridgerated, Injected with Melted Butter and Garlic Juice, Stuffed this Late AM with Bread Dressing ( Onion, Celery, Bacon, Smoked Oysters, Mandarin Oranges, Raisons, Turkey Broth, Seasoned with Salt, Pepper, Poultry Seasoning, and Fresh Sage from the Garden! On the Oklahoma Joe Highland Offset at 1:00 PM CST! Smoker started with KBB then Oak Firewood for Cook, Apple Wood Chunks for Smoke! Cook Monitored with a 6 Probe FireBoard! Left Grill, Left Breast, Left Thigh, RT Thigh, RT Breast, RT Grill! I wish FireBoard could develop a Spool System for the Probes! Also the iPhone 5 s App only allows for Vertical Orientation! Once I was told How by [email protected] ,Customer Service most Helpful! More Later! Happy Thanks Giving!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	243360Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.44 MB ID:	243362Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.79 MB ID:	243363Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	165.3 KB ID:	243357Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	118.8 KB ID:	243364

Having a Little Trouble Regulating the Temps in the OK Joe Highland? The DigiQ Dx-2 and I are having an Argument? I am Posting the FieBoards
                  Temps @ 6:00 PM as Well as the Most Current!! 5.5 Hrs In I'm Getting Hungry!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	165.3 KB ID:	243498Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	165.3 KB ID:	243499

Thanks Giving 2016 Continued! The "Executive Chef" made a decision at 7:00 PM "Stick Big Bird In The Oven" for 1/2-3/4 Hr! Dinner was Served at 8:00 PM! Turkey was very Moist and Flavorful! The Dressing was Great, moist and smokey! In addition to Turkey the Johnston Household was treated to Eunice's, Homemade Buns, Candied Sweet Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, and Pumpkin Pie all Washed Down with a Red Wine Blend
                  from Washington furnished by Shawn!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.01 MB ID:	243683Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	243686 Click image for larger version

Views:	116
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	243720Click image for larger version

Views:	114
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	243721Click image for larger version

Views:	111
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	243722Click image for larger version

Views:	113
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	243724Click image for larger version

Views:	108
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	243726Click image for larger version

Views:	224
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	243729Click image for larger version

Views:	105
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	243725
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Danjohnston949; November 25, 2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• PaynTrain
                    PaynTrain commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Woah, WTF is this wicked temp system you got going here? I am a data freak, and this looks awesome. I just bought the Thermoworks Smoke, and am new to monitoring my cooks.

• Bob's BBQ
                    Bob's BBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks great Danjohnston949!

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    PaynTrain, Bob's BBQ, Thanks! First, PaynTrain, I Don't Know WTF was with the Stack of Pic's Dumped Here! This was my First Use of the FireBoard a 6 Probe Thermometer Monitored by iPhone and Amazon Alexa Echo Dot!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here