Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ain't She Purdy? 2015!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ain't She Purdy? 2015!

This is the official thread for posting Thanksgiving Day photos of your turkeys. Since this IS a recipe section, please also let us know how you cooked the turkey, what you thought of the results, and what you'd do differently next time. Even if you followed MH's ultimate turkey recipe please give specifics about what you did. Everyone executes a little differently and we all want to steal each other's techniques.... erm... share I mean

To see last year's turkey thread click here.

Ham Florentine mini cups are the appetizer of choice while we work on getting the Thanksgiving meal prepped. That last photo is my view today. It's a beautiful day to smoke a turkey on the coast of North Carolina.

Comment

Alright my day has begun. Its frosty out as u can see. Bird and gravy ready to rock. Hope these picks come thru.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking good!

Damn, looks cold. Enjoying our 78 degree weather today!

Comment

As you can see the bimetal temp guage on the weber is off by.... A LOT...I let my coals get afire but the gravy boat with the liquid is suppressing my temp. I loaded the basket up figuring the outside temp and the addition of the water in the gavy boat wood do that...I let the charcoal go quite awhile with the gravy boat inside the cooker and could not get above 295 so I put the bird on. I just dont want rubbery skin....hate it...smoke or no smoke I hate rubbery fowl (pun intended) skin!!

Comment

Will be starting the Turkey cook in about 1.5 hrs, 13Lb. Spatchcocked on the SNS. 46* and 11 mph north wind with gusts to 21, should be interesting. Will have a bloody mary or 2 for the cook.

2:40PM, here's mine, cook time 1:58 at 330- 340* removed at 158* breast temp. Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey Day 2015.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	123899
        Last edited by JohnF; November 26, 2015, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• andy barnes
          andy barnes commented
          Editing a comment
          Bloody sounds great....Have u ever tried a mix called Zing Zang? Check it out.

• andy barnes
          andy barnes commented
          Editing a comment
          hows that cook coming John? Mine shoulda been over but cannot keep cooker over 300 degrees....shoulda bought a welding blanket and wrapped my 22.5 WSM.

• JohnF
          JohnF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm 1:42 into the cook bird is 149* and grill is 327* had problems in the beginning getting the temperature up and now I'm trying to slow down as it's an hr before family arrives I think I'll be fine but having another drink so I can chill.

Yeah man a bloody sounds GREAT!!

Comment

Turkey progress so far... It's at 145F. Needs to cook just a little longer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	123804

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	123805

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            NICELY DONE, David Parrish !!
            Can't look much better - ENJOY!!

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I showed mine. Now you show yours!

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Man that sexy boss

One breast has been cooking about 10 degrees hotter than the other, even after turning the turkey. What's the best thing to do, let it get done then carve it out and let the rest of the turkey finish?

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            You can carve and separate if you want to go to that trouble, but just be sure you hit 160 on the lowest temp breast no matter what you do.

• CoryS
            CoryS commented
            Editing a comment
            Guests are actually running late. I'm at 140 right now on the hot breast. Any harm in dropping the smoker down to 265 or so to slow down the cook?

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope. Go for it.

Outside temp is killing me but took a peek at a hour and a half into cook..Pic #1....Still freekn cold here in colorado...Pic#2 and Im thinkn I just might have one of these on crushed ice...Pick #3...

Comment

OK, David Parrish , this is a tad embarrassing to have to admit. We did our's inside this time. Here are a couple pics - you asked - I was just going to lay low on this one!

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been SMH all day, David Parrish !

We just felt like the more traditional turkey today. Last one was smoked. I know I have committed a blasphemy.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Next time tell her youll use the Rec Tec. That's pretty much an oven with smoke. Might be close enough for her.

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Man that turkey looks fresh bro! : ). Nice job man. Very nice.

So, in our house we have two turkeys (actually a house full of 'em, but that is another story...): Fitz ("If it's Fitz - EAT IT!", the 22 pounder, brined and cooked in the inside oven) and Gloria - the "on the grill" bird. This year, Gloria weighs in at 11.5 lb. I brined the girl in Kosher salt, dark brown sugar, lots of citrus peels, thyme, pepper corns and garlic overnight. Then spatchcocking, coating with chopped up oregano and the juice of a lime every half hour. Gloria just went on the indirect side of the grill at 250 degrees with some alder chips for smoke... I have done this for several years now, and in about 4 hours, she will be crispy and tangy and with breast meat that is moist two days later in sandwiches.

Comment

Sure wish I knew why posting here turns my photos on their side...

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                If you used your phone, iPhones are notorious for this, the photo has no metadata that tells vBulletin which side is up. vBulletin defaults to making the longest edge of the photo horizontal. You can fix this by making any kind of minor edit to the photos before you post it. The editing process adds orientation information which vB will use to make sure the photo is right side up.

Here's the final bird. Awesomeness personified.

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                You as well!

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Ernest!

• SteveinLFP
                SteveinLFP commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! what a beauty!

Hello group!
              This was my first time using the ultimate turkey recipe and wow it turned out great. Reached 160 at 2.1 hours I had to place the bird in a cooler until all the sides were completed. Still moist and the flavor was out of this world. This will be my new method for years to come.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Fantastic job! Nice photos too. (And nice beer selection!)

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here