Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving Practice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving Practice!

Well, I'm making a practice run on a Thanksigiving Turkey. I'm followimg AM's smoked turkey recipe. Just waiting on the celery for the gravy.
    Attached Files

Sweet!!!

Comment

That's funny. I'm doing the same thing next weekend.

Comment

• Tally
        Tally commented
        Editing a comment
        Make sure you keep us posted on your cook. As will I.

Doing next week as well if I can find a bird, are you guys using fresh ones from somewhere or just a Butterball?

Comment

I'd like to know too. I have only cooked fresh Honeysuckle (Pre-smoker days).

Comment

I've got a Butterball in flight position, thawing in the fridge, for a cook this weekend. It's a 13 pounder. It was either that or a 22 pounder at the grocery. No fresh turkeys available. Might as well give a shout out to my Mom by giving Butterball a try. She swears by BB.

Kathryn

Comment

I typically look for the biggest chicken that I can find to play pretend turkey on Thanksgiving. At least it's better than tofurkey!!
          Which sounds downright dirty if you ask me.

Comment

Tally, Ya done good! What a great idea as I haven't done a turkey on my smoker yet. AM's recipe??

I am doing one today or tomorrow. I am following MH's "Ultimate Smoked Turkey" recipe mostly. I got a Publix frozen 14 lb bird at $1.49/lb. The other brands were $3.00/lb or more. It looks like if it isn't TG or Christmas it is hard to find turkeys and if you do prices are high. I have it defrosted. Now I need figure if it has been injected or not and follow MH's recipe. I will try (try gives one the option to fail) to take pics and post the process

Comment

Marauderer, you can look on the Nutrition information label to see if your turkey has been injected/brined. If its sodium content is around 225 mg per 4 oz serving, then for sure it's been brined. Even though mine was a Butterball, I injected the thighs, legs, and breast with 1/4 lb of melted butter as Meathead recommended.

I just smoked a frozen Butterball (took a week to defrost in the fridge) and wrote about it here. Since you're not using a PBC, you can follow Meathead's recommendations to the letter. I couldn't use a pan under the bird due to the design of the PBC, for example, so had to make my gravy with drippings from the chicken thighs that I roasted in the oven to put into my pan dressing.

That Simon and Garfinkel rub is delicious on the bird. I halved the amount of ground bay leaf and ground sage, but otherwise used all of the amounts specified.

Follow Meathead and you can't go wrong. The resulting turkey is absolutely delicious. Mine looked a little weird, but ohmigosh did it ever taste delicious!

Kathryn

Comment

Kathryn, thank you for sharing your insights on the turkey. The only thing I am debating deviating is the rub. I have developed a Greek seasoning rub that is excellent on chicken and I am contemplating using that or the Simon and Garfunkel. I guess it will come down to what is in the cupboard to make the S&M rub. I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm really going to enjoy following along with your turkey cook, Marauderer. Have fun with it!

Kathryn

I'm doing a Turkey Breast next Sunday! Can't wait to try it on my Good-One! It's been about 2 years since I did one and I did that indirect on a Weber Kettle.

Comment

• Tally
                  Tally commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I want a weber kettle with the smokinator. Hopefully come my birthday I will have one!

• cdnichol
                  cdnichol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When is your birthday so we can ask for pictures when the time comes of your possible future gift :P

Originally posted by cdnichol View Post
                I'm doing a Turkey Breast next Sunday! Can't wait to try it on my Good-One! It's been about 2 years since I did one and I did that indirect on a Weber Kettle.
                Cam, Wow!! I looked at "The Good One". That is an awesome looking unit. It said it can be either a stick burner or charcoal?? Did I read it correctly?

Comment

• cdnichol
                  cdnichol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I haven't used it as a stick burner but I have talked to a few members of group on Facebook of The Good One Owners that said they have and says it is just as easy to manage as Charcoal. I think they are pushing owners to use charcoal only now but you have the option. I use Royal Oak Lump in mines with no issues so far.

I fought a gusting wind starting 30 minutes into the cook and struggled to keep my temp but it still came out good. This was ar's recipe. The family that tried it loved it.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Tally; September 26, 2014, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• cdnichol
                  cdnichol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks nice! Great color!

Sliced breast
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tally View Post
                  I fought a gusting wind starting 30 minutes into the cook and struggled to keep my temp but it still came out good. This was am's recipe. The family that tried it loved it.
                  Tally, who is AM???

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here