Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey

I know this is mostly a smoking and grilling site. Additionally, I do like the occasional smoked turkey. That said, for Christmas Supper, I did a deep fried turkey (which is my favorite way to cook turkey). Did a three day dry brine with what our family calls Opelousas Salt (Cajun salt) and then fried it up. Started the oil at 375 F when the turkey went in and maintained the temp at 350. Was a 13 lb bird was done in about 50 minutes.

Happy New Year all!
    Attached Files

Please tell us you aren't cooking your turkey in that diesel exhaust fluid!

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      No, DEF would be for brining....after deep frying you can fill the tank

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      It adds a little tang! Nope actually used fresh peanut oil!

Nice Bird...
    I drop my bird at 325 then keep the oil between 325 -350....3min per pound + 5 min usually run 14-15 pounders
    Injected and dry rubbed; it always seems to work,

Comment

Looks great! This place is about all food and cooking. Good work.

Comment

That’s a winner. Hey. You cooked it outdoors. That’s bbq to me.

Comment

Like the Kansas backdrop. Love the cooked turkey, yessir!
          PS. Cookin is cookin, no excuses.
          Last edited by FireMan; January 1, 2022, 09:51 PM.

Comment

NICE! I finally convinced my old man to hand down his turkey frying equipment to me. Too cold in CO to use it right now, but I might have to pick your brain next spring ...
            Last edited by Grillin Dad; January 2, 2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              Happy to help. Can’t find a better a better way to cook them.

@Sweaty Paul looking at the background of your first picture and it reminds me of home.
            Are you located on 183 highway North of Hays?
            I grew up in Codell, KS and went to High School in Plainville, KS.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              We are north of the interstate and just east of 183. From our house we can see 183 as it is a 1.5 miles straight west of us. Well done on recognizing this Debra!

• Debra
              Debra commented
              Editing a comment
              Sweaty Paul Hays to us was the big city growing up. My Father was born, grew up, farmed, and raised cattle in your area for 85 years before he moved to Kansas City with us. His brand was the original to this area reverse Rockin' R.

OUR meaning yours and mine part of the country has without a doubt the most beautiful sunsets in the world.
              Just curious? Do you know the old country road we always called King Hill? I made more than one exciting trip down that Hill hauling wheat and corn.
              Last edited by Debra; January 2, 2022, 03:41 PM.

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              Debra I don't know the country road called King Hill. I know we are on the hill that is right outside of Hays and we look over Hays from the back of our house.

@Sweaty Paul I ate my first restaurant meal in a small diner in Hays called Al's Chickenette. He was famous for fried chicken and French fries. He was quite the forward thinker for his time. He provided honey on the tables to drench the fried chicken in.
            Last edited by Debra; January 2, 2022, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              It has closed in the last few years. It was open when we first moved here. My wife and kid loved that place.

Sweaty Paul sad to hear Al's is gone. That is quite a run for a small Diner. It would have been the very early 60's when I first ate there. I have tried honey on fried chicken many times since Al's but it has never been the same.

Comment

Sweaty Paul. I apologize for stealing your thread but seeing your little section of paradise and thinking about King Hill again brought back one of my happiest childhood memories. King Hill was a long steep Hill that back then was legendary although I believe it has been gradered down to be a little tamer now. My Dad tells stories of having to back model T cars up the hill as they could not make it in forward gear.
              When I was very young I would "help" my Dad haul wheat in a big old farm truck. that must have been '40's or '50's vintage back then. It had a huge steering wheel that my Dad would put me in when we got near the top of the hill to make the run down. I will never forget the terror of setting on that steering wheel with my face right up against the windshield as we barreled down the hill. It would just scare me to death but I would always beg to make the next trip down.
              Farm kids back then had to find entertainment at any opportunity.
              I am certain that trip down King Hill would land someone in jail in today's times.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here