Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Wings on the Weber Kettle with Vortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Wings on the Weber Kettle with Vortex

I'm planning to cook some turkey wings this Thanksgiving on my Weber Kettle with vortex. I cook chicken wings like this almost weekly, but I've never done turkey wings. I guess I'll cook the turkey wings like I do chicken wings:
    • Dry wings thoroughly
    • Dry-brine them for 6 hours with Plowboy's Yardbird, uncovered in refrigerator
    • Just before cooking, brush very lightly with olive oil and lightly re-dust with Plowboy's Yardbird if needed
    • Get vortex very hot (350+ degrees) with charcoal
    • Use one chunk of apple wood, and one chunk of cherry wood (small chunks)
    Should take about an hour, I'm guessing. Unlike chicken wings, turkey wings might be big enough to get an accurate IT reading with my Thermapen.

Any suggestions? One recipe I read suggested scoring the skin so the rub could penetrate...

Thanks.

I will be watching this one. I have done turkey wings twice in my pellet cooker with poor results. I have kettle with Vortex so I could do them that way. Not a big turkey fan but a very big chicken wing fan. Bigger wings might be nice if done right.

Comment

I have never been able to find turkey wings that are worth a dime. The only good ones I have had came off Thanksgiving turkeys I have smoked. The ones packaged up at the grocery or wherever look like the wings of a pterodactyl and end up tough as shoe leather.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s how mine turned out. Couldn’t even eat them.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here, and the legs too. But as you said, cooked on the whole turkey they’re great. Go figure 🤷‍♂️

"Any suggestions?" Pictures

Comment

Well, Publix didn't have any turkey wings. They had turkey drumsticks, so I bought four. I've cooked them before, when I was first learning to BBQ, and they turned out tough and dry. Maybe I've learned something since then. Wish me luck.

I'll be cooking them as described above, with a little apple wood chunks for smoke flavor. Pics forthcoming.
        Last edited by TBoneJack; November 28, 2021, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Good Luck!

Here are the pics. It's cold and windy, and as usual, the thin-walled Kettle is struggling to keep temps at 350 without cracking the lid. But cracking the lid delivers. Current temp is 375.
        Attached Files

Comment

Done.They seem probe-tender. Taste test coming after a 10-minute rest.
          Attached Files

Comment

They were good. Bite-thru skin (compliments of a vortex ambient temp of 375 degrees). Very flavorful, juicy, and tender. On the outer half.

Down deep, although done and safe to eat, verified by a Thermoworks Thermapen, they were not as juicy and tender. More cook time would have helped, I think. Live and learn.

Overall, it was a good meal. I'm stuffed. And I now know to cook longer next time.

Comment

We do turkey thighs whenever we can find them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here