Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I decided to be 'ambitious' this AM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I decided to be 'ambitious' this AM

Don't ask me why but I got a wild hair to make Eggs Benedict

So, we had some ham we've been nibbling on since we smoked it. I have introduced the Y into Home made Devilled Ham. he's taken to it VERY well!! and lots less fat int he process.

So, yesterday, I decided I wanted to make English Muffins. no reason. I don't even LIKE English muffins! I have NO idea what that was about except I had been thinking about Benedict for a while. I saw a GORGEOUS gif of a Gordon Ramsay Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict and the GORGEOUS Hollandaise flowing over it.

that was probably what triggered it. cause, really, Ramsay is one of my favorite teachers. I know he's best known for cursing people out and being a butt head. but if you REALLY watch, in the instruction videos, with the Masterchef junior, even in Masterchef, he only gets mad at incompetence, never lack of skill. Lack of skill he's all about teaching and he's good at it.

Anyway, so. I made English Muffins, yesterday. interesting. I like the golden brown butter tops and bottoms. the insides are OK, just VERY dense bread. which is cool, if that's what you like. I like my bread a little lighter. anyway.....

I had thought I'd try (TRY, mind you) for lunch today. but, I woke up at 5 and couldn't get back to sleep, so, I thought I'd surprise the Y. or even not, just give it a try.

so, i double checked the Hollandaise recipe and said, "What the heck"

clarify 7 TBSP of butter and let it cool

OH! I LOVE my saucier! 1 egg yolk, one tablespoon of water, whisk the living FLIP out of my arm and just barely cook the emulsion enough to let it set. I think it will be easier to do next time. then add in the lemon juice, then drizzle in the butter.

Put a sear on the ham, open a muffin and, last, the egg. Gotta say, Ramsay comes through, again. I LOVE the technique of creating a whirlpool to poach the egg. it pulls the white around the yolk, putting a thicker layer of egg white all around the yolk, protecting it. makes it a lot easier to remove from the water without breaking.

stack it all together and, yes, that hollandaise is just DIVINE as it cascades across the egg and down to the muffin. VERY rich on the egg yolk but VERY yummy! I can see why it is a favorite.

so, there's my adventure for today. I think I'm going to try some Jam Souffles, next. been reading about those....

Awesome!

Comment

Hollandaise sauce is king. I make it every few weeks, so tasty!

Comment

Ya got my mouth watering....

Comment

I make my wife eggs benedict with homemade English Muffins on her birthday every year. And sometimes for Mother's Day. One of my favorite breakfasts. I use this recipe for "English Muffins" and they always turn out great: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2118606

For the poached eggs I am a huge fan of cracking the eggs into a fine mesh strainer and letting the watery whites drip away. Makes poaching super easy and delivers some nice, tidy looking eggs.

Comment

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm never a fan of dropping straight from the shell (Sorry, Gordon) I always crack mine into a ramekin and if the yolks are good, I'll THEN drop them into the whirling vortex. which carries the loose which away and wraps the tight white evenly around the yolk

My favorite show of his is The "F" Word. Not the US version, but the UK one. It really showcases his passion for teaching and food along with his ultimate respect of the ingredients and his need to share that. I definitely need to have a go at that sauce. I like eggs benedict but not something I feel worth making, breakfast around here is quick and simple But I think I can build a dinner menu around the sauce.

Comment

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            It is not that hard a souce. using butter, egg yolk and lemon juice. the water can become a juice, the lemon can be any number of vinegars, flavored or not, the butter can be infused with all sorts of flavors and you can simply add in finely chopped whatever you like. of course, classic hollandaise is used with fish as it is the perfect vehicle for lemon and makes even a dry fish taste rich

Seeing as you’re not a fan of the muffins...
          There’s a seafood restaurant in Hollywood (The Hungry Cat) that makes a great variation...
          A crab cake Benedict with house smoked bacon. Fanfreakingtastic.
          I now make my own as well.

Comment

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds AMAZING! I just happen to ADORE crab!!

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            It really is every bit as good as it sounds.
            And the house smoked bacon is more akin to the Canadian variety rather than crispy American bacon. Though either could obviously work.

Well I know what I’m fixing when I get back home. LOL

I’m not sure if it matters what the question is. Hollandaise is the right answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post
            stack it all together and, yes, that hollandaise is just DIVINE as it cascades across the egg and down to the muffin. VERY rich on the egg yolk but VERY yummy! I can see why it is a favorite.
            You maybe should have been a writer - very descriptive!

Comment

• Karon Adams
              Karon Adams commented
              Editing a comment
              I LOVE music and I am in AWE of Freddie Mercury. but, I know in my heart, the greatest music, the finest painters, the best writers are people you will never ever hear from. people who succeed in these fields are generally folks who NEED something from the art.

• Karon Adams
              Karon Adams commented
              Editing a comment
              folks who don't do it don't know that the enscorceled silence at the end of a piece is the most satisfying thing. but, there are people who simply NEED that kind of feedback. they can't live without it. THOSE are the poeple you know. the ones who are willing to be away for 300 days a year and play the same song over and over and over, cook the same dish every night,

• Karon Adams
              Karon Adams commented
              Editing a comment
              the best artists rarely are willing to do that. they are the slush readers, editors, studio musicians, backup singers. art for a living is not only unforgiving but exhausting. and it is heartbreaking and doesn't pay well. the folks who do are not in it for the money

Sounds like a great way to start one's day!!!!
            Many Thanks, Karon Adams

Comment

You’re teasing us. No pics?? I’m hungry now and don’t even know what I’m supposed to be eating. 😎

Comment

• Karon Adams
                Karon Adams commented
                Editing a comment
                too bloody early for pics and the Y had to go make someone mad. But, JUST for you guys, I'll try to make it again, maybe as a brunch for Sunday (we're building a greenhouse, today) and take some pics.

Very nice recipe but Can I buy you an e?

Comment

Sounds divine! Sauce was MY thing at Culinary School. LOVE playing with them to this day. One thing I always add to my EB, and I'm giving away my winning secret here, is a slice of roasted heirloom tomato. Slice them tom-toms pretty thick (1/2 in or so), place them is a glass baking dish, drizzle with your favorite oil, add your favorite seasonings (for me just S & P and some fresh parsley) and place under broiler until done. Add that to your stack. I also like adding dill to the hollandaise now and again. Ah the possibilities!

Comment

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Aaaaahhhhh! Dill?! Shhhh! The secret ingredient. LOL
                  I too specialized in sauces in school. They can make & break just about everything.

• Karon Adams
                  Karon Adams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sauces are also a specialty of mine. I LOVE them. for anything. and I make some in ways most folks don't even consider but have proven incredibly DELISH!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here