Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sandwich loaf my way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. ​oooooooooh
    2. Snap!
    3. I found
    4. Thank you

Comment

Thanks for sharing this recipe Ernest! I've been working everyday this week and haven't had a chance to try it, but will be giving it a go for Easter dinner. Have you ever tried using a food processor or stand mixer to knead the dough?

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr Rok...

I use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer to knead my ciabatta bread. It's a 90% hydration formula so hand kneading it would take forever. I mix the ingredients together and then autolyse/rest it for 30 minutes and then turn my mixer to speed 6 and it takes about 25 minutes to firm up and climb the dough hook and lifts off the bottom of the bowl, which is how I know it's done.

For my dough for hamburger buns, Brioche, I mix it in a stand mixer but as soon as all of the ingredients are fully incorporated I turn the mixer off and put the loose, wet sloppy dough on the bench and do a kneading technique called the slap and fold. You pick the dough up, which stretches it, you slap it onto the bench and pull it toward your body a little and fold it over itself. Then you turn it 180 degrees and repeat the process. Each time you will tighten the gluten strands and add air to it. After the dough becomes cohesive I put it in a proofing bucket and let it rise. After the rising process I do a few stretch and folds and I do a couple of tension pulls to tighten it up.

The slap and fold starts at 2:45 into the video.
        Last edited by Breadhead; April 2, 2015, 01:17 PM.

No, those gadgets take away all the fun of making bread.

Comment

Ernest... I baked some buns yesterday with a similar recipe. It's better to bake your own than to buy them at the grocery store. Do you have that recipe by weight instead of volume?
        Last edited by Breadhead; April 1, 2015, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Guy
          Guy commented
          Editing a comment
          Great, can't wait to try them.

Breadhead I have made so many of those that I don't measure any of the ingredients. But I'll weigh them next time I make a batch (probably Friday night)

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool... When I bake I find it easier to go by weight so I know exactly what the bakers percentage is. That way if I want to tweak it a little I know exactly what will happen. A few % of additional hydration can make a big change in a loaf.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here