Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make Great Bread Again Giveaway!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make Great Bread Again Giveaway!

My fellow Meatheads, it has been said that man cannot live by meat alone. I offer this corollary: man cannot grill meat alone, and great bread sure is delicious. Therefore, we must all do what we can to Make Great Bread Again!

Toward that end, I am offering a free (FREE, mind you!) dry sourdough starter from Breadtopia to help YOU Make Great Bread Again. This dry starter simplifies the process of building an active starter, putting you in position, like a coiled spring, to launch yourself into making great bread. This packet came bundled with my recently acquired grain mill, but I already have TWO active starters. So it sits in an envelope...looking hopeful. There it is...sitting and hoping...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180909_082711.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	563614

To make this starter your own, simply make a post below telling me what you will NAME your starter. Like a pet (which good starters effectively are), naming a starter is an important part of the process of welcoming your new yeastie beasties into your home. So make a post naming your starter by noon Eastern Time on Saturday, September 15. I will randomly draw from the posted names and declare a winner shortly after, followed by a trip to the post office.

That's very kind of you. Should you have it, I'll take the meat. I think we have a handful of bread makers around here. Pit people rock!

Comment

I have no desire for a sourdough starter because I don't care for sour bread, and all my attempts to make "unsour" sourdough were unsuccessful. BUT, if I ever change my mind, I will name it Bre. That's because Bre is the beginning of bread.

And thanx for your generosity.

Comment

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sure you're already aware, but for those who aren't, the key to a less sour sourdough is to use a young levain. The Perfect Loaf breaks it all down for you here: https://www.theperfectloaf.com/my-so...-young-levain/

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Pequod - I have tried every trick I could find over a long period of time, and I can still taste the sour. It's frustrating because I have had sourdough that wasn't sour, so I know it's possible.

would love to try it out would have to be called Sarah as she's a sour old bitch I met years ago 😅

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha, I hope you didn't marry her!!

You too can become a microorganism herder!

Comment

We've had Herman, Franny (an SF sourdough), and now that we live under the shadow of Mount Shasta, home to the Lemurians, http://www.lemurianconnection.com/ca...out-mt-shasta/, Franny has now morphed into Luna. And since Breadtopia's starter would eventually morph into a Luna we'll defer. It would be fun for a while though!

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Great point about "foreign" cultures eventually being crowded out by local wild organisms.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I think gcdmd just made a double entendre'. At least a double.

What a great offer. You’re too kind. In thinking about what I would name my starter I think I’d go with Gabby Johnson. When I think sourdough starters I think bread being cooked over fire in cast iron during the westward expansion. He’s the character that speaks "authentic frontier gibberish" in Blazing saddles. No way he didn’t keep a sourdough starter on hand.

Comment

Love sourdough! I would name her Crusty

Comment

Any other takers? We’re talking dried living creatures in an envelope, and it’s not Sea Monkeys!
          Last edited by Pequod; September 10, 2018, 06:07 AM.

Comment

I would call it Barnacle because it's crusty and I'm an old sailor.

Comment

goodurush

Comment

I had a truck awhile back that I named & I suggested a name fer old Bonsey’s new prize cooker, which he politely rejected, so I would name it Miss Lilly after Lilly Langtree. Yes ma’am, Miss Lilly, we’re here for ya.

Comment

I'm in! I'll name my starter Renzo Gracie...
                  Last edited by JCBBQ; September 10, 2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I'll call him...

Click image for larger version

Name:	wCeHnqs.png
Views:	122
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	564246

Sour Moe.

Comment

Any other yeast herding wannabes out there? Drawing on Saturday. Shipping shortly after...depending on hurricane.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here